+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Citizenship, One Passport

maplesugar

Mar 9, 2007
I have recently aquired my Canadian Citizenship, after many years living there, but over the past year have been travelling back and forth to Austria. ( Canada is still home). I use a British Passport which was no issue with a Perm. Residence Card, but now find out that I should obtain a CDN Passport because of my citizenship considered dual. I am travelling back to Canada for 4 weeks in a matter od days and concerned about entry the airports. If I only have my citizenship card and British Passport, will I get through without problems? Any insight or shared experiences would be great. Oh and great forum by the way!

EdwardRayburn

Mar 14, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Multiple citizenship is a status in which a person is agreeably regarded as a citizen under the laws of more than one state. You are a dual citizen if you are recognized by more than one country as a citizen. However, every country has its own laws regarding dual citizenship. Some countries allow it and others do not, while some countries have no particular laws regarding dual citizenship.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maplesugar,

The Canadian border officials will definitely let you in if you make it there. They cannot deny a Canadian citizen entry, and your citizenship certificate is proof of your status.

The airlines may or may not allow you to travel there on a one-way ticket without a passport, though. Normally you are expected to have a passport.

I have known people who have done what you have done (traveled with a British passport and Canadian citizenship certificate) and have been ok, so you will "probably" get away with it. I personally do not like to rely on "probable" rather than certain things, though. If you are greatly concerned you can always apply for a temporary passport at the local embassy/high commission/consulate.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The airlines should let him on, as British citizens can travel to Canada visa free. If he had a Mexican passport or some other country w/o visa free privileges then it would be a different story.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012