+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Citizenship Biometrics Question

Monie

Star Member
Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to my question.

My husband has two passports which is Hong Kong and British National Overseas.

When we filled out the application form, we listed his Hong Kong passport information as he currently resides in Hong Kong and also he does not need biometrics.

We had to list all his citizenship on the application form, which I did declare both HK and BNO. But BNO would require biometrics.

Does anyone know will it be likely IRCC will ask him to get biometrics for having a British National Overseas Passport and declaring BNO as his nationality?

I know they will ask him for biometrics later if it is needed, but I just wanted to know if anybody was in a similar situation like this where they have two citizenship and one needed biometrics and the other one did not.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to my question.

My husband has two passports which is Hong Kong and British National Overseas.

When we filled out the application form, we listed his Hong Kong passport information as he currently resides in Hong Kong and also he does not need biometrics.

We had to list all his citizenship on the application form, which I did declare both HK and BNO. But BNO would require biometrics.

Does anyone know will it be likely IRCC will ask him to get biometrics for having a British National Overseas Passport and declaring BNO as his nationality?

I know they will ask him for biometrics later if it is needed, but I just wanted to know if anybody was in a similar situation like this where they have two citizenship and one needed biometrics and the other one did not.

Thanks!
Hi

The one nationality being exempt means it will not be requested.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But just wondering will they ask for biometrics for the other nationality.
No. It's like a dual citizen who holds both a visa-exempt and non visa-exempt passport. If they want to travel to Canada, they just apply for an eTA with their visa-exempt passport. They are not required to also apply for a TRV for the non visa-exempt passport.

Monie

Star Member
Sep 22, 2018
No. It's like a dual citizen who holds both a visa-exempt and non visa-exempt passport. If they want to travel to Canada, they just apply for an eTA with their visa-exempt passport. They are not required to also apply for a TRV for the non visa-exempt passport.
I hope this is the case with their biometrics requirement.

His HK passport does not require him to submit biometrics while his BNO passport would require him to submit biometrics. So I am wondering at the end would they ask him to submit biometrics or not.

I guess we will find out at the end. Just hoping since we entered the passport info with the passport not needing biometrics then no need for biometrics. We didn’t pay the biometrics fee upfront for this reason and hoping this doesn't cause a delay in processing the application. But then the ETA was actually in his BNO.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To me understanding having a British National Overseas passport doesn't give you British/UK citizenship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am asking about biometrics for PR application. His HK passport does not require him to submit biometrics while his BNO passport would require him to submit biometrics. So I am wondering at the end would they ask him to submit biometrics or not.

I guess we will find out at the end. Just hoping since we entered the passport info with the passport not needing biometrics then no need for biometrics.
I understand what you are asking and used the TRV example as an anology to explain the situation to you. The fact that he has a citizenship that is exempt from biometrics makes him exempt regardless of the other nationalities he holds. This is the same as a person holding a visa-exempt passport; they are still visa-exempt even if they hold 3 other passports that require a visa.

Reactions: Monie

Monie

Star Member
Sep 22, 2018
To me understanding having a British National Overseas passport doesn't give you British/UK citizenship.
Yes. bno does not allow us to live in the UK. We understand that from first being BDTC and then now BNO. It is just one type of nationality which is different than from having british citizenship.

Types of British nationality
Overview
  • British national (overseas)

Last edited:

Monie

Star Member
Sep 22, 2018
I understand what you are asking and used the TRV example as an anology to explain the situation to you. The fact that he has a citizenship that is exempt from biometrics makes him exempt regardless of the other nationalities he holds. This is the same as a person holding a visa-exempt passport; they are still visa-exempt even if they hold 3 other passports that require a visa.
Thanks! You beat me to it. I was revising my message as I understand you were actually using an example for me to better understand. Makes sense.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017