+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizens study permit

king89jm

Nov 27, 2019
Hi, I saw a post relating to the family in Japan. I have a similar situation, not sure if you could help. I will be applying for a Student visa for Canada, from Jamaica, my daughter whom I plan to take with me is an American citizen. Do I include her in the application?
Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Okay. Thank you. She's just one though. So would it be just a visitors visa instead?
I believe its still study permit but the requirement of have an acceptance letter is not there, need to explain instead that its for a minor accompanying parents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay. Thank you. She's just one though. So would it be just a visitors visa instead?
You don't apply for anything for her. You certainly do not apply for a study permit for a one year old. The child can travel to Canada on just her American passport. When entering, you need to request that CBSA issue her a Visitor Record to match the length of your study permit.

Of course, this is taking into account that the travel restrictions will be lifted by the time you come to Canada. If not, the child cannot travel to Canada with you, as she would not be exempt from the restrictions.

Reactions: king89jm

Ahamira

Sep 30, 2016
Nigeria
Category........
STUDY
You don't apply for anything for her. You certainly do not apply for a study permit for a one year old. The child can travel to Canada on just her American passport. When entering, you need to request that CBSA issue her a Visitor Record to match the length of your study permit.

Of course, this is taking into account that the travel restrictions will be lifted by the time you come to Canada. If not, the child cannot travel to Canada with you, as she would not be exempt from the restrictions.
Hi, I am almost in the same situation. My study permit was approved in January 2020 for September 2020. I intend to go with my kids who have their TRV’s already. Would they be allowed to travel with me on their TRV’s since the restriction does not affect me? Kindly advise.

king89jm

Nov 27, 2019

This was very helpful. Thanks a bunch. And yes, I Will be conscious of the restrictions. I plan to defer my start date if it isn't lifted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am almost in the same situation. My study permit was approved in January 2020 for September 2020. I intend to go with my kids who have their TRV’s already. Would they be allowed to travel with me on their TRV’s since the restriction does not affect me? Kindly advise.
Yes they will face travel restrictions if still in place.

king89jm

Nov 27, 2019
Yes they will face travel restrictions if still in place.
Yes. I have. I'm currently on a waitlist. I'm budgeting for $1000 a month as I've come across some within that price range. Will know more once I finalize living arrangements.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not while the restrictions are in place.

Reactions: Ahamira