+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual citizen leaving Canada for the US

martini

Apr 27, 2020
Planning to cross the US-Canada border for a job in the US. My child is a dual citizen. Do dual citizens need a Canadian passport to leave Canada, or would a US passport be enough?

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: RJ2020

martini

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks! I'm going to do it by land. Also, I might be wrong but it seems the link is only for boarding a flight to or transiting through Canada by air. I am wondering about leaving Canada. We can always apply for a Canadian passport once we are in the US.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Not really. There's an exception for US passport holders.

"Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada."

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship
1. Note the following

Canadian-American dual citizens

If you’re travelling by air from the US to Canada, you should bring a valid Canadian passport and a valid US passport or travel document to board your flight.

• Carrying both documents as proof of citizenship may help facilitate both entry into Canada and return to the United States.

While Canadian-American dual citizens were able to fly between the US and Canada on their American passports prior to COVID-19, some travellers have been denied boarding (even with a proof of Canadian citizenship) because of COVID-19 restrictions.

martini

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks! We're not traveling by air. We're crossing a land border. I will also file for Canadian passport in the US. My concern is leaving Canada.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Thanks! I'm going to do it by land. Also, I might be wrong but it seems the link is only for boarding a flight to or transiting through Canada by air. I am wondering about leaving Canada. We can always apply for a Canadian passport once we are in the US.
Land is even less complex as you'll be dealing with the respective country's border services agency directly. Either side of the border cannot turn a citizen away, even if they are not carrying documents with them. Just as an FYI, if you're a permanent resident or have status in Canada, your child wouldn't have any issues flying back with his American passport as he will be technically "exempt." Once you land in Canada, the CBSA won't be able to turn him back since he's a citizen. Having a Canadian passport will for sure make things easier. Safe travels!

Last edited:
Reactions: martini