+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Citizen (Canadian-Filipino) Married to Filipina in Philippines

Jan 2, 2015
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen who got married to a Filipina in the Philippines. We have 3 kids. I plan on making them all
Canadians, but I have concerns regarding the first step, which is the validity of our marriage contract, and how my
citizenship could possibly affect their citizenship.

Here are some important things you probably/might need to know:

1. I was married in February 2, 2008, to a Filipina, in Philippines;
2. My citizenship status on my marriage contract reads "Filipino"
3. I was told by my lawyer in Philippines that I should secure a document from the Canadian government granting me legal capacity to marry. Unfortunately, my lawyer isn't familiar with Canadian Law (hence me posting here)
4. Is it possible/necessary for me to obtain this document granting me legal capacity to marry so that my marriage in the Philippines will be recognized by the Canadian Government?
5. I messaged the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, regarding my concern, and they're stating: "Please note that marriages that are legally performed abroad are usually valid in Canada, and there is no legal
requirement to register a foreign marriage." Is it possible that my marriage is recognized by the Canadian Government?
6. I reacquired my Filipino Citizenship to become a dual citizen (Canadian-Filipino) back in June 13, 2012. I was
told the document reflecting my dual citizenship is "retroactive", which makes my marriage back in Philippines
valid (and recognized by the Philippines Government)

My kids were born on the following dates:

The eldest was born in June 1, 2008, the 2nd was born in October 1, 2011, and the 3rd was born in October 10, 2014. They were all born in Philippines.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with all these questions. Tried doing the research but apparently my research skills aren't too sharp.

Best Regards,
JJ

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
canadianfilipino said:
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen who got married to a Filipina in the Philippines. We have 3 kids. I plan on making them all
Canadians, but I have concerns regarding the first step, which is the validity of our marriage contract, and how my

3. I was told by my lawyer in Philippines that I should secure a document from the Canadian government granting me legal capacity to marry. Unfortunately, my lawyer isn't familiar with Canadian Law (hence me posting here)

4. Is it possible/necessary for me to obtain this document granting me legal capacity to marry so that my marriage in the Philippines will be recognized by the Canadian Government?
5. I messaged the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, regarding my concern, and they're stating: "Please note that marriages that are legally performed abroad are usually valid in Canada, and there is no legal
requirement to register a foreign marriage." Is it possible that my marriage is recognized by the Canadian Government?
6. I reacquired my Filipino Citizenship to become a dual citizen (Canadian-Filipino) back in June 13, 2012. I was
told the document reflecting my dual citizenship is "retroactive", which makes my marriage back in Philippines

The eldest was born in June 1, 2008, the 2nd was born in October 1, 2011, and the 3rd was born in October 10, 2014. They were all born in Philippines.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with all these questions. Tried doing the research but apparently my research skills aren't too sharp.

Best Regards,
JJ
What is the question here?

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianfilipino said:
Hi there,

Best Regards,
JJ
You can sponsor your wife and kids. As long as your marriage was legal according to the law of the country where it took place there is nothing to worry about. You may be able to apply for citizenship for the kids, I'm not sure about that, but one thing is sure, even if you were not a Canadian citizen you can still sponsor all kids and their mom as long as you have a legal status in Canada. The best source of information for you is cic website: cic.gc.ca

3hm

Star Member
Dec 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your marriage is valid anywhere you go as DFA stated.

check this guide for further info for your children.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Jan 2, 2015
Goldline said:
You can sponsor your wife and kids. As long as your marriage was legal according to the law of the country where it took place there is nothing to worry about. You may be able to apply for citizenship for the kids, I'm not sure about that, but one thing is sure, even if you were not a Canadian citizen you can still sponsor all kids and their mom as long as you have a legal status in Canada. The best source of information for you is cic website: cic.gc.ca
Hi Goldline,

Thanks for the speedy response, and clearing that matter up real fast. Appreciate your help!

Jan 2, 2015
3hm said:
Your marriage is valid anywhere you go as DFA stated.

check this guide for further info for your children.
Hi 3hm,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! After reading the resource you shared, I stumbled across an section that suggests my kids could already be Canadian citizens, and that I only need to apply for their certificates of citizenship.

I'd post the link, but I'm prohibited from doing so.

Anyway, here's the specific excerpt:

"Is your child already a citizen?

In general, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada before April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen. However, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:

was born in Canada, or
became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also known as naturalization).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, use the Application for a Citizenship Certificate under section 3 (CIT 0001).
"

So based on this information, and the birth years of my kids (2008, 2011, and 2014), as well as the fact that I obtained my Canadian citizenship through naturalization back in 1998 (rough estimate), my kids are already Canadian?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here. I'm annoying, but I want to make sure I get things done the right way!

Thanks in advance,
JJ

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianfilipino said:
Hi 3hm,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! After reading the resource you shared, I stumbled across an section that suggests my kids could already be Canadian citizens, and that I only need to apply for their certificates of citizenship.

In general, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada before April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen. However, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:

was born in Canada, or
became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also known as naturalization).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, use the Application for a Citizenship Certificate under section 3 (CIT 0001).
"

So based on this information, and the birth years of my kids (2008, 2011, and 2014), as well as the fact that I obtained my Canadian citizenship through naturalization back in 1998 (rough estimate), my kids are already Canadian?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here. I'm annoying, but I want to make sure I get things done the right way!

Thanks in advance,
JJ
I dont see any problem just call The CIC on monday and they will give you all The information and another thing u dont Make people citizen By marriage its CIC does after Meeting all The parmanent residence requirement ,ur kids call The cic n they will help and ur marriage is valid in canada if valid back home ,is ur husband a PR yet?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadianfilipino said:
Hi 3hm,

was born in Canada, or

"

Thanks in advance,
JJ
1. As you received your Canadian citizen via naturalization prior to the birth of the children, they are Canadian citizens. All you have to do is apply for proof of citizenship. The forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
2. Note that you would not include the children in any sponsorship application for your spouse, as they are already citizens. They are only included on the IMM 5406.

MrsHello

Nov 18, 2016
Hi

I have the same situation as "canadianfilipino". I was married as Filipino status but now I want to register my mareiage in Canada. I am dual-citizen by the way. Can anyone tell me what to do If I register my marriage in Canada and will they allow me even if my marriage certificate says "Filipino citizen"

Appreciate your response

Karle72

Nov 23, 2016
I have the same situation here and I would like to sponsor my wife soon... Would "filipino" on the marriage certificate matter when i sponsor her. Im dual citizen and im worried that once i file for sponsorship this "issue" might delay my sponsorship. Pls help...
MrsHello said:
Hi

I have the same situation as "canadianfilipino". I was married as Filipino status but now I want to register my mareiage in Canada. I am dual-citizen by the way. Can anyone tell me what to do If I register my marriage in Canada and will they allow me even if my marriage certificate says "Filipino citizen"

Appreciate your response

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MrsHello said:
Your marriage doesn't need to be registered in Canada.

Karle72 said:
I have the same situation here and I would like to sponsor my wife soon... Would "filipino" on the marriage certificate matter when i sponsor her. Im dual citizen and im worried that once i file for sponsorship this "issue" might delay my sponsorship. Pls help...
Zero effect on a sponsorship app.