+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Citizen applying for PR

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Hello Folks,
Hope someone can help me out here, I received an ITA recently under the CEC. I'm a dual citizen applicant. I was born in Argentina but obtained German citizenship by descent. I'm applying for PR with my German citizenship and although I have never lived in Germany, do I still need to provide Police Certificates? I'm currently on a closed work-permit in BC and my current nationality on my UCI is Argentinian.

Can someone please shed some light on this dilemma?

Regards,

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you never lived in Germany, you do not need a PCC. However you are requested to inform all of your citizenship and provide all passports (I also have dual citizenship). I recommend you add a LOE stating that you have never lived in Germany nor spent more than 6 months there.

brunolord

Dec 7, 2017
If you never lived in Germany, you do not need a PCC. However you are requested to inform all of your citizenship and provide all passports (I also have dual citizenship). I recommend you add a LOE stating that you have never lived in Germany nor spent more than 6 months there.
Hi Alzs,

I am assuming you are from Brazil, so am I.
I also have a dual citizenship and received the ITA, do I need to provide both passports?
I am applying using the Italian (my second nationality), all my stamps are there and my Brazilian is expired.

Thanks in advance
Bruno.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Alzs,

I am assuming you are from Brazil, so am I.
I also have a dual citizenship and received the ITA, do I need to provide both passports?
I am applying using the Italian (my second nationality), all my stamps are there and my Brazilian is expired.

Thanks in advance
Bruno.
Bruno, you don't need to send both passports once you receive PPR. However during the application I uploaded both passports copies. If you check the link below you will see that they ask for valid passports (plural) and do not accept expired ones. There is no specific mention to situations of multiple citizenship, but my understanding is that you must reveal it and show supporting documents.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence.html

brunolord

Dec 7, 2017
Hi Alsz,
I double checked my expired one (Brazilian passport) and it has a single stamp in it, for one of the trips I've done.
I assume I have to upload it because of that, right?
I thought about sending it with a translation of my driver's license and a Letter of Explanation.
I am thinking that if someone has a double citizenship, they are not obligated to have both passports since they only need one to travel.
Also, both my police check and University documents state my Brazilian citizenship.
What do you think? Too risky?
Thanks
Bruno

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Alsz,
I double checked my expired one (Brazilian passport) and it has a single stamp in it, for one of the trips I've done.
I assume I have to upload it because of that, right?
I thought about sending it with a translation of my driver's license and a Letter of Explanation.
I am thinking that if someone has a double citizenship, they are not obligated to have both passports since they only need one to travel.
Also, both my police check and University documents state my Brazilian citizenship.
What do you think? Too risky?
Thanks
Bruno
I was checking the notes I had for my post-ITA application and I wrote down the following:
You must submit a legible copy of your valid travel document which you will use to travel.

If you have a passport, you must provide a copy of:

• the page that shows your birth date and country of origin, and
  • any pages with stamps, visas or markings.
If you do not have a passport and must use another travel document, it must be issued by a government and include your:name,
  • date of birth,
  • document number,
  • citizenship or residency status,
  • photo, and
  • expiry date (if applicable).
So it seems you could send a valid ID instead of a passport. But if I were you, just to be on the safe side, I would get a new passport. Beware that lacking requested documents is a reason for cancelling an application as incomplete, without a chance to upload missing documents at a later date.

You can also open a new topic here asking for people with multiple citizenship to share their experience.

You don't have to upload any expired passports, no matter how many stamps there are on it.

brunolord

Dec 7, 2017
Hi Alsz,

That is good to know!
I will exclude my Brazilian passport from the upload.
Another information, my divorce certificate and my university degree both state that I am a Brazilian national, and I am uploading both.
Maybe my translated drivers license whose number is found on both documents mentioned above and a LOE would be enough?
I have a hard time thinking that CIC would demand a person to have passports of each nationality the person has...
What do you think? Regardless, I will try to post on some threads as you suggested.

Thanks again
Bruno.

Bobbieleigh

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Alsz,

That is good to know!
I will exclude my Brazilian passport from the upload.
Another information, my divorce certificate and my university degree both state that I am a Brazilian national, and I am uploading both.
Maybe my translated drivers license whose number is found on both documents mentioned above and a LOE would be enough?
I have a hard time thinking that CIC would demand a person to have passports of each nationality the person has...
What do you think? Regardless, I will try to post on some threads as you suggested.

Thanks again
Bruno.
It's true that to travel you need only one passport but in the country you are a citizen you must present the identity document of that country, you can't use ID of other country. For example if you are a citizen of Germany and France you can't use your German passport in France. In Germany you are German, in France you are Franc that's why you need id documents for both countries, either ID card or passport. You have to present ID documents of both countries to CIC to prove your double citizenship.
I am dual citizen as well and I submitted copies of both passports.

brunolord

Dec 7, 2017
It's true that to travel you need only one passport but in the country you are a citizen you must present the identity document of that country, you can't use ID of other country. For example if you are a citizen of Germany and France you can't use your German passport in France. In Germany you are German, in France you are Franc that's why you need id documents for both countries, either ID card or passport. You have to present ID documents of both countries to CIC to prove your double citizenship.
I am dual citizen as well and I submitted copies of both passports.
Hi Bobbieleigh,

I understand your point.
Would you say that a National ID document could replace a passport or in the case a passport could be provided it must ne provided?

Thanks
Bruno

matteis

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
I have dual citizenship, Brazilian and Italian, but my Italian passport is expired. Could it be an issue? I have filled out EE form using the Brazilian one.

Last edited:

ClarkeS

Star Member
May 12, 2018
I have dual citizenship, Brazilian and Italian, but my Italian passport is expired. Could it be an issue? I have filled out EE form using the Brazilian one.
I have dual as well with one passport expired. I was going to just use the one, and then do a LOE that the other passport is expired. I have my birth certificate to prove the citizenship of the one with the expired passport if necessary.

Reactions: matteis