+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Sankalan

Jun 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,

WES has awarded me a "Dual bachelor's degree (four years)" but I am a bit confused about how I should fill my the EOI form (education history).

• Should I fill 2 Bachelor's degrees separately ("Bachelor of Arts" & "Bachelor of LAW" )
  • Or should I fill just one entry of Bachelor of LAW.
2 bachelor's degree will certainly improve my score, but what to be sure before submitting it.

Please help.

My Credential Analysis

Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
Year: 2011
Awarded By: University of Calcutta
Major/Specialization: Law
Canadian Equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Not_Your_Donkey_Kong

Apr 19, 2019
Category........
FSW
Fellow lawyer and a prospective immigrant here.
Been in the boat for quite sometime, grappled with everything. Can advice on the matter, so kindly heed to it.

Given the situation,
You can do three things.

1. Claim points for professional degree.
2. Claim points for two or more degrees.
3. Reapply with IQAS, which will give you a first professional degree assessment.

Now if you want to go with 1 (I mean obviously you 'd want to if you could, right, since LL.B is a professional degree in CIC list), I have both good and bad news for you.

Good news is that I contacted CIC itself about this and the responder I was assigned told me that a Bachelor of Laws will accrue you full 135 points, regardless of the WES evaluation (a bachelor degree isn't same as bachelor of laws as far as ECA is concerned). However, they also cautioned me that the final decision rested with the V.O and if he decides to consider the degree as Bachelor's only and not as Bachelor of Laws, then it would be so.

So, that being said, here's the bad news. Few of my friends, who applied before me, tried this trick. Only 1 could get through. Most failed to convince V.O that it was a professional degree. They even alluded to that CIC conversation. And thus, it goes out that option 1, though possible will be extremely risky. (Up to you if you want to try though).

As for option 2, that is your safest bet. Enter both degrees i.e Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws separately. Mention the same course duration and dates for both. Select Bachelors degree to both when it asks for what does the ECA state. It will auto accrue you 128 points.

Option 3 is not really an option, rather an advice. IQAS will most certainly assess your law degree as 'first professional degree' or even as 'J.D'. Now once that happens, that will allow you to claim 135 points without any trouble, or fear of rejection.

So, in my opinion. Your approach should involve both option 2 and 3. Claim points for two or more degrees while applying with IQAS (IQAS takes 6 months). Once you get your IQAS assessment, update your application duly.

Though, if you are desperate enough for those 7 brownie points, you may resort to option 1 right away. Maybe you could succeed. Who knows?

Good luck!

Sandhu8857

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Fellow lawyer and a prospective immigrant here.
Been in the boat for quite sometime, grappled with everything. Can advice on the matter, so kindly heed to it.

Given the situation,
You can do three things.

1. Claim points for professional degree.
2. Claim points for two or more degrees.
3. Reapply with IQAS, which will give you a first professional degree assessment.

Now if you want to go with 1 (I mean obviously you 'd want to if you could, right, since LL.B is a professional degree in CIC list), I have both good and bad news for you.

Good news is that I contacted CIC itself about this and the responder I was assigned told me that a Bachelor of Laws will accrue you full 135 points, regardless of the WES evaluation (a bachelor degree isn't same as bachelor of laws as far as ECA is concerned). However, they also cautioned me that the final decision rested with the V.O and if he decides to consider the degree as Bachelor's only and not as Bachelor of Laws, then it would be so.

So, that being said, here's the bad news. Few of my friends, who applied before me, tried this trick. Only 1 could get through. Most failed to convince V.O that it was a professional degree. They even alluded to that CIC conversation. And thus, it goes out that option 1, though possible will be extremely risky. (Up to you if you want to try though).

As for option 2, that is your safest bet. Enter both degrees i.e Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws separately. Mention the same course duration and dates for both. Select Bachelors degree to both when it asks for what does the ECA state. It will auto accrue you 128 points.

Option 3 is not really an option, rather an advice. IQAS will most certainly assess your law degree as 'first professional degree' or even as 'J.D'. Now once that happens, that will allow you to claim 135 points without any trouble, or fear of rejection.

So, in my opinion. Your approach should involve both option 2 and 3. Claim points for two or more degrees while applying with IQAS (IQAS takes 6 months). Once you get your IQAS assessment, update your application duly.

Though, if you are desperate enough for those 7 brownie points, you may resort to option 1 right away. Maybe you could succeed. Who knows?

Good luck!
Bro, what option did you select, you also had dual degree evaluation, i am also in same boat

Sandhu8857

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Everyone,

WES has awarded me a "Dual bachelor's degree (four years)" but I am a bit confused about how I should fill my the EOI form (education history).

• Should I fill 2 Bachelor's degrees separately ("Bachelor of Arts" & "Bachelor of LAW" )
  • Or should I fill just one entry of Bachelor of LAW.
2 bachelor's degree will certainly improve my score, but what to be sure before submitting it.

Please help.

My Credential Analysis

Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
Year: 2011
Awarded By: University of Calcutta
Major/Specialization: Law
Canadian Equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)
Bro, i have dual degree like you bachelor of laws and bachelor of arts, what did you do? Have you got your PR

frenchtulip

Nov 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am in a similar situation. I hold a dual law and arts degree, which WES evaluated as "dual bachelor degree (four years)".

In my Arts degree, I majored in French Language.

I am currently completing my express entry profile.

1. Both degrees were completed simultaneously, so should I just put the TO and FROM date as the whole period?
  2. Should the Arts degree be "Arts, General (Humanities/Social Sciences)" or "English/French as a Second Language"?
  3. I've contacted WES but no answer yet, but it seems odd that the Law degree doesn't get a mention as a professional degree just because I slogged and did a second degree at the same time! Appreciate there's some detailed responses above, but if anyone has experiences they can share with this, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks!
- Vee

Not_Your_Donkey_Kong

Apr 19, 2019
Category........
FSW
V.O will not count your degree as a professional degree. I 'd suggest that you reapply with IQAS. Someone I personally know, received refusal just because of this very recently. Don't take your chances.