+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DS160 question

sandeep85

Jul 22, 2017
I have a question on DS 160, I am Indian living in US on H1B and I got my COPR last week and now I am planning to enter Canada by road sometime around November and as I am on H1B I need to go to stamping to come back to US. So while filling my DS160 I came across the following question
"Are you a permanent resident of a country/region other than your country/region(nationality) mentioned above?"
For this do I need to mention Yes or No

my considerations are as below
Yes - I will be PR by the time I attend the interview as I will be traveling and completing the landing process while entering Canada for H1B interview.
No - As of the day I fill my DS160 I haven't landed yet.

Can anyone please let me know what will be the best answer in my situation.
@EhhCanada - I see that you mentioned NO. Is everything fine with that. Did you face any issue? Also When we land do they give any unique identification number(something like PR number)? Even if we mention YES in DS160 we need to give some ID I beleive.

kakaly

Nov 17, 2017
I mentioned NO and i dint face any issue during interview. I just mentioned it to the VO that i am a PR of canada now and she just said, thanks for letting us know. So just mention NO.

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
@kakaly @EhhCanada
Hello Guys
I am in a similar situation where i got my CoPR recently .In my ds-160 form at the time of filling , i have mentioned the answer to the same question as "No " since i have not landed in Canada yet . I won't have my PR card since the interview will be within a week of landing. ( PR card as you may know take 50-60 days)

Did you all have any good justifications planned if the VO would question on your permanent residence status ? I believe when the US VISA takes the passport for stamping , they can see the canada visa .

Also , technically our PR status gets activated when we land the first time . I am confused . Please help
Thanks !

sandeep85

Jul 22, 2017
I was in same situation 1 month back. I changed my ds 160 from no to Yes. I dont think it matters much as they just ask yes or no and which country and not even any pr number.

In ds 160 there will be a field which says have you visited any countried in past 5 yrs i updated that also with canada.

Changing ds 160 is very easy. I changed it 2 days before my Dropbox date. We just need to carry new ds 160 and inform them that you have a new ds 160

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
Sandeep, thank you for your response .

Do you think i should also change in my case ?

BTW , i have submitted by DS-160 already and i have a confirmation number , do you still think i can change it ?:

Thanks again !

sandeep85

Jul 22, 2017
Its better provide up to date information in ds160 but its up to you.

Yes you can change it

Just Incase you want to change below is the process

Provide application id(AA00...) In the us us portal, click retrieve application and then select "new application" . It brings up your already submitted form you can just change the required fields and submit. You will get new CEAC confirmation sheet.

goodboy97

Feb 12, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
As a PR (Canada) what is the National Identification Number ? do we have any National Identification Number?

nishanj

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Hi,
we are a family of three, Indian Citizens staying in Canada, as Permanent Residents. When applying for a tourist visa to the US online, I noticed that we need to enter a US contact name. We do not have relatives of friends in the US and we have not made definite plans on what to do when visiting the US. We want to plan that once we have the visa.
If I select " do not know" for the US contact, I have to enter the Organisation name. What shall I enter there? If I put in a name there, then I have to enter the address and phone number of the organization. I am not sure what to enter there. Please help.