+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drunk driving happened in Abroad now Returning back to Canada

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend, who is a Canadian Permanent Resident, has been charged with Drunk Driving outside of Canada and his Canadian drivers license is suspended for 6 months last week. Now, he wants to go back to Canada next week. Will he be denied at the airport?

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your answer Nope.

He's been told that his license will be sent to the nearest Canadian Consulate/Embassy in abroad when the procedure is completed.

When Canadian authorities learn that he has DUI in abroad will he be charged in Canada again? In abroad, he only received a traffic ticket, but he wasn't criminally charged. DUI is not a serious offence where he charged, but in Canada it's a criminal offence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - he won't be charged in Canada.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately he will be allowed in and he won't be charged. Makes no sense but whatever.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Galip said:
My friend, who is a Canadian Permanent Resident, has been charged with Drunk Driving outside of Canada and his Canadian drivers license is suspended for 6 months last week. Now, he wants to go back to Canada next week. Will he be denied at the airport?
No he won't be denied entry especially as CBSA/CIC won't know about this. CIC does ask about convictions both in Canada and overseas at citizenship application stage. Your friend should immediately seek legal advise on what his charges mean compared to the Canadian Criminal Code (CCC) equivalence (DUI is a serious offence under Canadian laws) as he can open himself up to an inadmissibility hearing and PR revocation if he makes the wrong step by interacting with CIC.

Tahar19

Aug 28, 2018
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1 .My question is can I still apply for citizenship in Canada?
2. If yes. Should I disclose it ? @scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1. Post your question to the Citizenship section of the forum.
2. Yes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

You need to speak to a lawyer about what would be the charge if you were in Canada. You have to declare it. No option.