+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving US registration car to Canada

dba

Nov 29, 2011
I am PR and I live in Canada, due to recent changes in my job requirements, I have to travel to US often and stay there for extended period of time. My questions are:
1. I will rent car in US and drive to Canada – will there be any issue at the border since I am resident of Canada, but, driving US rental car to Canada?
2. I will be traveling frequently to Canada like once in a week – will this be problem since I will use my PR card to enter Canada frequently?
3. If I buy car in US and use it to travel, what kind of issues I am looking at?

Please give me your comments. Thanks!

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dba said:
1. I will rent car in US and drive to Canada – will there be any issue at the border since I am resident of Canada, but, driving US rental car to Canada?
Residents of Canada are not permitted to drive cars with U.S. plates into Canada. It is possible that the car will be seized at the border. If the car rental company has any cars with Canadian plates, you can drive those into Canada.
dba said:
2. I will be traveling frequently to Canada like once in a week – will this be problem since I will use my PR card to enter Canada frequently?
No, but you should keep a detailed log of when you enter and leave Canada, and where you're traveling to, because if you ever apply for citizenship, you will need to provide these details.
dba said:
3. If I buy car in US and use it to travel, what kind of issues I am looking at?
The car will have to have Canadian license plates put on it, or you will not be able to drive it into Canada as mentioned above.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
3. If you are already a PR then in addition to getting CAN plates for a US purchased car, you would have to import it, modify it, and pay duty and taxes on it.

manja_mali

Oct 19, 2011
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-rental-usa-1302.htm looks like the rental cars from us can go there without issue

fna786

Jan 22, 2011
Hi...I am a canadian born citizen who has been living in the US all my life with US citizenship. I am now moving back to canada as I am sponsoring my spouse. I would like to bring my car with me but the titile is not in my name as i have a loan i am paying. I have only had my car for 6 months and do not want to have to sell it. Can I drive my car with my US drivers license to canada? Do i have to tell them that I am moving back there? I will be traveling on my canadian passport. Also in order to get insurance there does the car have to be registered there? i know i will not beable to import it at this very moment as my lender will not give me permission to take it in another country til its been 12 months...so can i drive it over with out showing im moving back and register it after 6 months?