+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving to the US with expired PR card

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Hello,

I have an urgent work related travel to the US in mid April.

My PR card will be expired by then, and in process of renewal (however I can't count on it to be completed by mid April).

I plan thus to drive, using my car, to the US, and back to Canada. I was under the impression that driving back to Canada in a private vehicle should be ok (no PRTD required, a COPR and an expired PR card should be fine), only traveling by commercial transport requires a valid PR card.

However looking on https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10 it says
If you leave Canada without a valid PR card, you must apply for a PRTD to re-enter Canada.
Does this mean that if I leave Canada with an expired PR card, do I need PRTD even if I drive back to Canada in my car?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I plan thus to drive, using my car, to the US, and back to Canada.
However looking on https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10 it says

Does this mean that if I leave Canada with an expired PR card, do I need PRTD even if I drive back to Canada in my car?
You need to read the entire text:
"You need a valid permanent resident (PR) card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.
If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada."

There does not seem to be an issue.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have an urgent work related travel to the US in mid April.

My PR card will be expired by then, and in process of renewal (however I can't count on it to be completed by mid April).

I plan thus to drive, using my car, to the US, and back to Canada. I was under the impression that driving back to Canada in a private vehicle should be ok (no PRTD required, a COPR and an expired PR card should be fine), only traveling by commercial transport requires a valid PR card.

Thanks!
You can use your expired PR Card, alone. No need for anything else, including your CoPR.

The CBSA officer simply has to see that you are a PR, which an expired PR Card would show. The officer will then see (in the system) that your PR status has not been revoked or relinquished. You may get sent to secondary Inspection, because the card is expired, but it's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: shannon388

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks a lot @armoured and @Ponga for the information!

Just to be extra careful, would the expired Canadian PR card pose any issue when entering the US (of course I have a valid US visa)?

Jillztom

Aug 11, 2014
@shannon388

Did you end up going? I'm in the same situation. Would like to know what you end up doing. I'm also planning to fly in and out from Buffalo (after driving to Buffalo) since my office is in the west coast US.

Magalicious

Jul 31, 2023
You can use your expired PR Card, alone. No need for anything else, including your CoPR.

The CBSA officer simply has to see that you are a PR, which an expired PR Card would show. The officer will then see (in the system) that your PR status has not been revoked or relinquished. You may get sent to secondary Inspection, because the card is expired, but it's nothing to worry about.
I plan to travel to US end of the month/first week of September. I have not applied for my renewal yet. I plan to drive across and drive back with my expired card. Should I apply and leave? I’m worried they CBSA will not allow me to return. Are you confident that I will not have an issue?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I plan to travel to US end of the month/first week of September. I have not applied for my renewal yet. I plan to drive across and drive back with my expired card. Should I apply and leave? I’m worried they CBSA will not allow me to return. Are you confident that I will not have an issue?
If you are a PR with valid PR status, you will not be denied entry by CBSA. You may be sent to Secondary Inspection, for simply having an expired card, but do NOT panic if that happens. Once in Secondary the officer can (and will) see that even though your card has expired, your PR status has NOT!

A valid PR Card for travel is really only needed for appeasing a commercial carrier. Land PoE crossings do not require a valid Card (but is always recommended to have).

Jillztom

Aug 11, 2014
Update from my end: I ended up driving to Buffalo and took a flight from there. I drove back to Canada and showed my expired PR Card and Passport. The officer asked if I had applied for the renewal and I said yes. He asked if I have my COPR (Landing Paper) and I did not have it with me at that time. It's fine he said and asked if I have any proof of payment for the renewal. I showed him the payment confirmation email on my phone and that was enough.

km571

Sep 11, 2023
Update from my end: I ended up driving to Buffalo and took a flight from there. I drove back to Canada and showed my expired PR Card and Passport. The officer asked if I had applied for the renewal and I said yes. He asked if I have my COPR (Landing Paper) and I did not have it with me at that time. It's fine he said and asked if I have any proof of payment for the renewal. I showed him the payment confirmation email on my phone and that was enough.
@Jillztom Which land border did you use? I've heard some are more familiar with these situations than others and so they allow you through with less issue. I'm in the same boat.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@Jillztom Which land border did you use? I've heard some are more familiar with these situations than others and so they allow you through with less issue. I'm in the same boat.
If you are in the SAME situation (in compliance and already applied), you should not worry - nothign to worry about.

If not - doesn't change much. There is no reliable information, really, about which crossings are more or less easy or lenient.