+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving to Canada

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am currently on h1b in USA and planning to drive to Canada soon. I did my landing last year Feb and I have my PR card with me. I did not provide a goods to follow list at that time. Now I am planning on using pods or similar shipping company to ship my house hold items from usa to Canada. Can I provide the goods to follow list when I cross the border? Also I am planning on importing my car. Should I mention it in the goods to follow list as well since its actually acompanying me ? I am really confused and any help would be really appreciated.

wisetrack

Jun 18, 2018
If you already declared any goods (accompanying/GTF) with a BSF186 form when you landed, and it was stamped already, I don't think you will be allowed to separately declare GTF now.

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
If you already declared any goods (accompanying/GTF) with a BSF186 form when you landed, and it was stamped already, I don't think you will be allowed to separately declare GTF now.
Thanks for your response. And no. I did not provide a goods to follow list when I originally landed.

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
It should not matter if the the goods you have declared are with you or is delivered by some shipping company. As long as it is declared, you should be fine.

Also, a note about PODS - I used them during my move. They provided a quote which was terribly wrong as later I was charged some few hundred dollars more. This is explanation I got - The PODS are charged via monthly rental but because you are crossing borders, you will be charged in prorated fashion. For eg: if your container is in US till 15th July and crosses the border on 16th then half will be in USD and half will be CAD. But because of proration, you end up paying almost double the monthly rental.

Secondly, be prepared for lengthy wait time on their customer care lines and delays in delivery. For me, they took two months!!! Check their Twitter feed.

Also, when you enter Canada, you will get your GTF stamped. However, the PODS need another copy of your GTF which is NOT stamped because their driver will get it stamped when he crosses the border with your stuff. So make sure you have two copies of GTF - one you will get stamped and other, the PODS driver will get stamped.

Please discuss all this with the PODS guys if you go with them.

If you are really up for it, I would suggest you take a UHaul with vehicle towing!!!

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Thank you so much! I am moving from Texas so U-Haul is not an option for me. Besides I have already confirmed with PODS..thank again for your suggestions..I will keep them in mind and follow them .

Reactions: sidharth075

sidharth075

Dec 29, 2021
Thank you so much! I am moving from Texas so U-Haul is not an option for me. Besides I have already confirmed with PODS..thank again for your suggestions..I will keep them in mind and follow them .
Hi! May I ask how your experience with PODS was? We’re moving from the US to Toronto too and are considering PODS. Would be great to hear what your experience was like.

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hi! May I ask how your experience with PODS was? We’re moving from the US to Toronto too and are considering PODS. Would be great to hear what your experience was like.
What we did was we used pods not just for shipping but also storage for 3 months.

We had a very similar experience as the joeskc mentioned above.

Here are pros and cons
Pros
The pickups and drop offs were always on schedule with really good communication about pick up and drop off requirements.
We accessed the container once during the storage to retrieve some stuff and it was really easy and we'll managed

Cons
They would add some additional charges here and there. don't be suprised if you end up paying more than they quoted
if you are using pods as storage as well, they will not prorate it. Which means even if you go 1 day over you pay for the whole month. I think this applies even to regular shipping but not sure.
Their quotes will be half in USD and half in cad. It's quite tricky to understand how much your are paying and what your are paying for.

Also just my personal opinion so do this at your own risk but you can skip the insurance they offer. That shaves a bit off the overall cost.

Also while packing be very careful and dont have heavy boxes that might fall over near the door. We packed our container as tightly as we can and the way it is designed there a small hook at the door shutter. One of our heavy boxes fell on top of and we could open the shutter at all. Luckily we noticed this when we accessed it during storage and the whareshouse guy was beyond helpful. He brought massive forklift the size of a semi trailer truck and pretty much wrenched it open for us.

They would initially say the shipping from us to Canada will be done in a few days but in reality this may take multiple weeks. We knew about this before hand but was okay with it because we were storing it for like 3 months atleast and did not have anything critical in there that we needed to access immediately
The customer care is not integrated well between us and Canada. Also there was no explicit customer care number for Canada or atleast I found it very hard to get through to the candian side. On the side note, quite minor but I found the Canadian side to be much more helpful and Friendly compared to the American side.

On a side note not sure if you are aware but you will have clear the customs on your own. You need to take the bsf form they would give you at the time when you declare goods to follow and go the customs office in Mississauga located in or near Pearson airport and clear it. They will also email you some forms with instructions. You need to take that form as well and get it stamped. Please make sure your name and details are spelled correctly . For me it was all incorrect and had a few mistakes.also you have a very small window to clear customs once your container reaches the bonded wharehouse. I think around less than a week. And if you don't they would treat the container as abandoned.

if you have any specific questions do let me know and I will try to answer the best i can

Last edited:
Reactions: sidharth075

sidharth075

Dec 29, 2021
What we did was we used pods not just for shipping but also storage for 3 months.

We had a very similar experience as the joeskc mentioned above.

Here are pros and cons
Pros
The pickups and drop offs were always on schedule with really good communication about pick up and drop off requirements.
We accessed the container once during the storage to retrieve some stuff and it was really easy and we'll managed

Cons
They would add some additional charges here and there. don't be suprised if you end up paying more than they quoted
if you are using pods as storage as well, they will not prorate it. Which means even if you go 1 day over you pay for the whole month. I think this applies even to regular shipping but not sure.
Their quotes will be half in USD and half in cad. It's quite tricky to understand how much your are paying and what your are paying for.

Also just my personal opinion so do this at your own risk but you can skip the insurance they offer. That shaves a bit off the overall cost.

Also while packing be very careful and dont have heavy boxes that might fall over near the door. We packed our container as tightly as we can and the way it is designed there a small hook at the door shutter. One of our heavy boxes fell on top of and we could open the shutter at all. Luckily we noticed this when we accessed it during storage and the whareshouse guy was beyond helpful. He brought massive forklift the size of a semi trailer truck and pretty much wrenched it open for us.

They would initially say the shipping from us to Canada will be done in a few days but in reality this may take multiple weeks. We knew about this before hand but was okay with it because we were storing it for like 3 months atleast and did not have anything critical in there that we needed to access immediately
The customer care is not integrated well between us and Canada. Also there was no explicit customer care number for Canada or atleast I found it very hard to get through to the candian side. On the side note, quite minor but I found the Canadian side to be much more helpful and Friendly compared to the American side.

On a side note not sure if you are aware but you will have clear the customs on your own. You need to take the bsf form they would give you at the time when you declare goods to follow and go the customs office in Mississauga located in or near Pearson airport and clear it. They will also email you some forms with instructions. You need to take that form as well and get it stamped. Please make sure your name and details are spelled correctly . For me it was all incorrect and had a few mistakes.also you have a very small window to clear customs once your container reaches the bonded wharehouse. I think around less than a week. And if you don't they would treat the container as abandoned.

if you have any specific questions do let me know and I will try to answer the best i can

Thank you SO much! This is super helpful indeed. We also plan to store the stuff for a few weeks because we wouldn’t have a place in Toronto immediately. We’re staying at an apart-hotel for the first month at least.

Did you guys do the packing and loading on your own? Or was that service included? Also for the unloading in Canada, did you do that on your own? Since we have quite a bit of furniture, my concern is around requiring help with dissembling the furniture to load it and then reassembling it once we’ve found a place in Canada.

Really appreciate your detailed response!