+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving to Alaska from Lower 48 with DWI charge

aberdaccus

May 26, 2009
I am sure this has been done to death, and I am aware of the official line by Canadian immigration. However, I am trying to guage some real world stories regarding crossing the border. I am a UK citizen, and US resident, with a DWI charge from four years ago. How difficult is it to get across the border? I am moving from the lower 48 to Alaska for work, and figured driving up there makes the most sense. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aberdaccus said:
I am sure this has been done to death, and I am aware of the official line by Canadian immigration. However, I am trying to guage some real world stories regarding crossing the border. I am a UK citizen, and US resident, with a DWI charge from four years ago. How difficult is it to get across the border? I am moving from the lower 48 to Alaska for work, and figured driving up there makes the most sense. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
You may find yourself taking the ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan if you are inadmissible.

PMM

aberdaccus

May 26, 2009
Thanks. However, I am really trying to guage how strictly this is enforced, how frequently it is checked etc etc. There is a lot of information out there, and for every person who says they were turned away, it appears there are many more who crossed without issue. Additionally, Ketchikan STILL requires me to enter Canada in order to reach my final destination :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aberdaccus said:
Thanks. However, I am really trying to guage how strictly this is enforced, how frequently it is checked etc etc. There is a lot of information out there, and for every person who says they were turned away, it appears there are many more who crossed without issue. Additionally, Ketchikan STILL requires me to enter Canada in order to reach my final destination :)
If you are asked you will have a problem, as CBSA has access to NCIC as well as the state criminal records. As I say, you may get lucky, you may not. If you are refused you would need to take a ferry that doesn't require a Canadian transit out of Bellingham. I picked that port as that was the one that came up first.

PMM

aberdaccus

May 26, 2009
I am trying to get in touch with the Canadian Consulate's Visa Dept, as I really want to be able to do this the correct way, regarding a temporary permit; my concern of course is the time frame involved.

I do not have a US passport, as a British Citizen; presumably they will ask for drivers licence as well as passport? I doubt the DUI is tied to my passport, as it occured in the US.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aberdaccus said:
I am trying to get in touch with the Canadian Consulate's Visa Dept, as I really want to be able to do this the correct way, regarding a temporary permit; my concern of course is the time frame involved.

I do not have a US passport, as a British Citizen; presumably they will ask for drivers licence as well as passport? I doubt the DUI is tied to my passport, as it occured in the US.
It is tied to your name.

PMM

aberdaccus

May 26, 2009
Really? That is somewhat surprising, as, during some of my more...ahem...quiet periods, at work, a vain-glorious google search retrieves HUNDREDS of people named precisely the same as me. Presumably there must be some kind of number-ID related attachment also.

Either way, I will continue to attempt the correct course of action, namely working with the Canadian authorities.

I have also read of Temp Visas being issued at the border in situations similar to mine, for a fee in the region of CN$200. Does this hold true?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aberdaccus said:
Really? That is somewhat surprising, as, during some of my more...ahem...quiet periods, at work, a vain-glorious google search retrieves HUNDREDS of people named precisely the same as me. Presumably there must be some kind of number-ID related attachment also.

Either way, I will continue to attempt the correct course of action, namely working with the Canadian authorities.

I have also read of Temp Visas being issued at the border in situations similar to mine, for a fee in the region of CN$200. Does this hold true?
1. 5 years haven't passed since the conviction/completion of the sentence so you can't apply for rehab.
2. CPIC (Canadian Police information Centre) and NCIC (National Crime Information Center) contains the records of all criminal convictions recorded in Canada and the US. It is recorded by Name, DOB, citizenship, and fingerprints. If you really want you could apply for your FBI criminal records check, cost you $18. If you intend to apply for rehabilitation you would need it anyhow. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

PMM