+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving on Implied Status

Lara27

Jun 7, 2020
Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year!

Question:

I am sponsoring my Husband (inland), who has been here with me since Jan 2020. So far we have applied for PR, visitor extension and open work permit.
At this point we only received confirmation that CIC received our application and that I am eligible to sponsor him as our file is now in “queue”.

We recently bought a car as my husband was succcessfuo in attainhig his G licence.

Does anybody know what to do regarding lack of OHIP and medical coverage? Can we apply for OHIP in applied status or is funding an insurance company to cover potential accident and hospital bills enough? Is Bluecross Ontario a good option?

Please help...
Thanks a million.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Your husbands application for an OWP (with proof of PR application delivery) gives him implied status until the OWP or PR application is approved. If the OWP application is denied, or the entire PR application is returned for missing documents or signatures, etc., his implied status is immediately revoked.

In BC I was easily able to get BC Services health coverage with implied status. If you're not in BC I'm not sure what the rules are regarding medical coverage.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year!

Question:

I am sponsoring my Husband (inland), who has been here with me since Jan 2020. So far we have applied for PR, visitor extension and open work permit.
At this point we only received confirmation that CIC received our application and that I am eligible to sponsor him as our file is now in “queue”.

We recently bought a car as my husband was succcessfuo in attainhig his G licence.

Does anybody know what to do regarding lack of OHIP and medical coverage? Can we apply for OHIP in applied status or is funding an insurance company to cover potential accident and hospital bills enough? Is Bluecross Ontario a good option?

Please help...
Thanks a million.
Get insurance. Ontario is quite adverse to visitors and so you cannot have OHIP under implied status. It’s almost impossible to get your partner’s employer insurance coverage too.
Again, Ontario will not provide any health service for free.
I had heard that some people are not being charged for emergency treatments. I can’t confirm any of that from the official websites.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get insurance. Ontario is quite adverse to visitors and so you cannot have OHIP under implied status. It’s almost impossible to get your partner’s employer insurance coverage too.
Again, Ontario will not provide any health service for free.
I had heard that some people are not being charged for emergency treatments. I can’t confirm any of that from the official websites.
You will be treated if it an emergency before asking for payment but you will certainly will be asked to pay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year!

Question:

Please help...
Thanks a million.
Is your husband currently working full-time and will the job last for over 6 months?

Beeakh

Star Member
Mar 3, 2021
He is not working at all. We have been waiting for his OWP since June...
If you have received AIP or Work permit by now, he's eligible for OHIP. He can take this documents plus his passport and driving license/any govt issue ID which shows proof of his residence. They will give him health card.
I did so last week.