+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License "Experience Letter" British Columbia

Ilyushin76

Mar 24, 2019
Hello ! Was going through the ICBC website that lays out the foreign driving license conversion procedure. The website recommends that a "letter" from the license issuing authorities be submitted to them.

Where I come from, our licenses have all the details printed on them (including when the license was issued - mine shows it has been issued for 15 years now). I talked to the local authorities and they simply stated that if a third party wants to verify my license, they should simply log in to the online database.

My question is - will my license still be eligible for conversion or will I have to go through the long procedure :(

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My question is - will my license still be eligible for conversion or will I have to go through the long procedure :(
No chance for conversion..

B.C. has reciprocal licence exchange agreements with many jurisdictions:

• Austria
  • Australia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
    • Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea (not motorcycles)
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (not motorcycles)
    • If you're from Taiwan you will be able to exchange your licence for a passenger vehicle licence only. You must provide the following documents:
      • Taiwanese driver's licence card,
      • Verification certificate of driver's licence with red seal stamp (available in Taiwan only), and a translation of your driver's licence by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Vancouver. You can get an ICBC translation form at any driver licensing office.
  • United Kingdom (includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
  • United States (includes Washington DC and Puerto Rico)

Ilyushin76

Mar 24, 2019
No chance for conversion..

B.C. has reciprocal licence exchange agreements with many jurisdictions:

• Austria
  • Australia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
    • Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea (not motorcycles)
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (not motorcycles)
    • If you're from Taiwan you will be able to exchange your licence for a passenger vehicle licence only. You must provide the following documents:
      • Taiwanese driver's licence card,
      • Verification certificate of driver's licence with red seal stamp (available in Taiwan only), and a translation of your driver's licence by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Vancouver. You can get an ICBC translation form at any driver licensing office.
  • United Kingdom (includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
  • United States (includes Washington DC and Puerto Rico)
Thanks ! :)

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
Hello ! Was going through the ICBC website that lays out the foreign driving license conversion procedure. The website recommends that a "letter" from the license issuing authorities be submitted to them.

Where I come from, our licenses have all the details printed on them (including when the license was issued - mine shows it has been issued for 15 years now). I talked to the local authorities and they simply stated that if a third party wants to verify my license, they should simply log in to the online database.

They didn't ask me for any letter as they could see from the licence that I've had it for 12 years. They didn't look at my international driver's licence either.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They didn't ask me for any letter as they could see from the licence that I've had it for 12 years. They didn't look at my international driver's licence either.
I assume you didn't get any discounts for your auto insurance in BC.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. If you want the discount from ICBC insurance, you will need to have a letter from your Pakistan car insurer in the format on the ICBC website, showing the number of at fault claims.