+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving into canada with US license for copr validation

letsgotocan

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

I am US resident (not a PR), I am planning to drive across to Canada to get my CoPR validated and complete my first landing.

I was checking on whether I can drive in Canada with my US driver license. While I found that a US driver license would suffice in order to drive in Canada as a visitor, my worry is once CoPR is validated we are technically not visitors isnt it (but PRs)?

Does US driver's license suffice in such conditions too? Right now my plan is to land, spend a day or two and travel back to US before moving in permanently in a couple of month's time.

Could someone help with this query?

Thanks!!!

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

I am US resident (not a PR), I am planning to drive across to Canada to get my CoPR validated and complete my first landing.

I was checking on whether I can drive in Canada with my US driver license. While I found that a US driver license would suffice in order to drive in Canada as a visitor, my worry is once CoPR is validated we are technically not visitors isnt it (but PRs)?

Does US driver's license suffice in such conditions too? Right now my plan is to land, spend a day or two and travel back to US before moving in permanently in a couple of month's time.

Thanks!!!
No issue. If I recall I read somewhere that you can drive with US license for upto 6 months after you move to Canada. However, after 6 months you must have Canadian license.

Reactions: letsgotocan

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Folks,

I have a question.

Thanks!!!
Hi

You can drive with your US license when you come to land.

When you move to Canada permanently, you will be allowed to drive with it for a limited amount of time before you must change to a Canadian license. How long depends on the province you move to.

Reactions: letsgotocan