+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving in Canada after 6 months?

adobres

Apr 8, 2012
Hello and happy holidays!

My wife and I are stumped and confused with a current issue we are facing, and we would greatly appreciate any hep you have to offer.

My Wife is Australian citizen, I am Canadian citizen. We were married here in Canada. She most recently arrived here in Canada on May 7th 2012. We understood that as a visitor, she can drive legally in Canada for 6 months with her Australian driver’s license. Our question is this: She applied for an extension on her visitor visa Oct. 6th (which is a month before her original visitor visa expires) this was for another 6 month extension of her visitor visa. She applied for this because just previous to that we sent in her application for permanent residency in Canada and also my sponsorship forms. We knew my wife would have to apply for the visitor visa extension because we would be waiting for the results of her permanent resident visa application package for possibly up to 18 months. One thing we are confused about is, can she still drive legally? Is there a way to “renew” this 6 moths of legal driving? Or can she not drive until she:

A: Leaves Canada to go to Australia and then come back again, or,
B: Until she receives her permanent residency visa where she can then apply for a Canadian Driver’s license.

Another important thing to add is because the Canadian visa office usually takes around 90 days to complete the application for visitor extension visa, she is under what they call “implied status” So we are not sure if this contributes to the issue in any way?

It just feels unfair to us that she could be waiting for up to 18 months for the permanent resident visa forms to be accepted before she can drive. And where we are living right now it is very important that she can be able to drive as I work out of town often and the closest food store is 20 minutes away with no bus route. We are in the province of British Columbia. Thank you very much for your help. WE really appreciate it!

Adam Dobres.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some posters said once you have extended your visa, you can get a BC Driver License by showing your passport and visa extension:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t126900.0.html

Gadwynn

Aug 27, 2015
Hello.

I really need help about driving license after 6 months being here in Canada.

I already got visa extension immigration paper and driving license from my country (its more than 5 years since I got it)

I brought all that papers (passport, driving license, imm paper still valid) and lady in ICBC said I cannot get a BC driving license because my tourist visa has to be valid AT LEAST 6 months from that day when I am applying for BC driving license.

But how is that possible if the limit of getting tourist visa is UP TO 6 months so there is no way to get one, pr should I try in another ICBC? ;D

I am really confused about that, please help!

Thanks

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Gadwynn said:
Hello.

I really need help about driving license after 6 months being here in Canada.

I already got visa extension immigration paper and driving license from my country (its more than 5 years since I got it)

I brought all that papers (passport, driving license, imm paper still valid) and lady in ICBC said I cannot get a BC driving license because my tourist visa has to be valid AT LEAST 6 months from that day when I am applying for BC driving license.

But how is that possible if the limit of getting tourist visa is UP TO 6 months so there is no way to get one, pr should I try in another ICBC? ;D

I am really confused about that, please help!

Thanks
She meant your immigration document. When you apply for extension after the iniitial 6 months you will get a document stating the validity of your visit. That paper can be good for more than 6 months. Show it to them.

Gadwynn

Aug 27, 2015
That is what i show to her. Tourist visa extension (imm paper), and its valid 6 months, but she said requirement is AT LEAST 6 months, more than 181 days, but I have valid for 180 days as that is max. i can get as tourist

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Gadwynn said:
That is what i show to her. Tourist visa extension (imm paper), and its valid 6 months, but she said requirement is AT LEAST 6 months, more than 181 days, but I have valid for 180 days as that is max. i can get as tourist
It is not the max, 1 year is common for people trying to achieve common law.

So basically you had bad luck there.

Maybe try a different office?

Another option is to get an international drivers' licence. Some are willing to courier it to you if you send them all the fees and comply with all the requisits.