+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving for uber for 20 hours a week

Levis007

Feb 29, 2020
Hey, i am an international student and i am driving for uber for 20 hours a week.

Should i be worried for my pgwp?

Anyone else got work permit while driving for uber while studying ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Uber is too new, we don't know of any impacts yet.

A word of warning - we don't know whether IRCC considers your hours "available" or just your hours with actual clients for their calculation.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey, i am an international student and i am driving for uber for 20 hours a week.

Should i be worried for my pgwp?

Anyone else got work permit while driving for uber while studying ?
And you are aware you have to register for a GST HST account with the CRA, correct ?
There’s no minimum amount earned for ride sharing

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
yes i have gst hst number
I didn’t get the no minimum amount thing ? What do you meant by this.
Good . Typically to register for a GST HST number the mandatory income amount to register is $30k over a rolling four quarter period
With ride sharing the $30k limit does not apply
But you’re good since you’ve already registered

Levis007

Feb 29, 2020
Yes i will have to file taxes, i know about that. My main concern is pgwp, should i be worried about that?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Yes i will have to file taxes, i know about that. My main concern is pgwp, should i be worried about that?
As mentioned ride sharing is fairly new, and I haven’t read whether the time being “ standby” counts within the 20hr time limit
Id probably reach out to the IRCC and check with an agent if there’s been an official memo published regarding this

pkapoor

Dec 11, 2019
As mentioned ride sharing is fairly new, and I haven’t read whether the time being “ standby” counts within the 20hr time limit
Id probably reach out to the IRCC and check with an agent if there’s been an official memo published regarding this
Do inform what u get to know. Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes i have gst hst number
I didn’t get the no minimum amount thing ? What do you meant by this.
Some new Canadians have not been aware that that this is taxable income and were treating their Uber money like working for cash. They then ran into big back payments and some were receiving social assistance in addition.