+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving a Uhaul across border before quarantine?

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,

My wife and daughter are planning to move to Canada soon from the US. Both are Canadian citizens. I'll be joining later (waiting for PR). We are renting them an AirBNB for the first month or so after they arrive in Victoria, but we'd like to have them move most of our stuff with them in a rented Uhaul.

The quarantine rules say that you need to go directly to your place of quarantine, but they would need to unload the Uhaul at a storage unit, and then return the Uhaul truck. Is this allowed, or do we need to find another way to get our belongings into Canada at this time?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they are suppose to go directly to place of quarantine, so they cannot unload at a storage unit and return the uhaul truck.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
This won't answer your question by pointing you to explicit rules, but I can share my recent anecdotal experience.

In late March I drove a one-way rental car into Manitoba. I have an exemption to visit Canada. Border officers asked me many questions at the border, and that process took a while, but I was not specifically asked by an officer how I planned to return the rental car upon reaching my destination. My plan - and what I ended up doing - was I returned the car on a Sunday evening at a location that allowed overnight drop off of the rental car. There was a drop box for the keys. It was only 1 Km away from the location I was quarantining, so I then walked the 1km and began my 14 day quarantine. (I later found out, upon calling the rental car location, that they were waiting ~5 days to even open the vehicle I rented since I brought it from the states).

Reactions: YVR123
Apr 23, 2021
Hi All,

My wife and daughter are planning to move to Canada soon from the US. Both are Canadian citizens. I'll be joining later (waiting for PR). We are renting them an AirBNB for the first month or so after they arrive in Victoria, but we'd like to have them move most of our stuff with them in a rented Uhaul.

The quarantine rules say that you need to go directly to your place of quarantine, but they would need to unload the Uhaul at a storage unit, and then return the Uhaul truck. Is this allowed, or do we need to find another way to get our belongings into Canada at this time?

Thanks!

Hi, two months before my friend moved from us to etobicoke he unloaded his thing in a storage unit in etobicoke and the went for quarantine to their place he had no issues in store his things.