WAIVED :)
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
APRIL 9 :)
Hello!

My husband will be landing soon (I hope) and I am trying to figure out everything that I need to get done for him. We will be Alberta, and from my understanding the licensing law is this
- If over 25 (which he is) with more than 2 years driving experience, new residents are required to complete drivers education, a knowledge test, and a road test.
- If he obtains an international driving license, he is allowed to drive in Canada until it expires (it is valid for a year)

Does this sound right?

Is there anyone located in Edmonton who has gone through this and can speak to this experience a little bit more. I am also looking for a company that will be 'immigrant' friendly. My husband speaks minimal English at the moment, so I would like a company that is more understanding of this when he is obtaining his permit.

Thanks!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's the info for Alberta: http://www.ama.ab.ca/registries/exchange-existing-licence-for-alberta-driver-licence or here: http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm or here: http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/visitors-driving-in-alberta.html

So it looks like if you are moving to AB, not staying temporarily, he will have 90 days of driving on his license before he needs to get an AB license. If he has a license from one of the countries on their list, he can exchange it. If he doesn't, he will have to give them his foreign license to evaluate plus a translation, take the written test and take the road test. If his English is not good, he may find it hard to study for / pass the written test.

It may be possible to bypass this if he is EU and could temporarily register in another EU country that is on their list and exchange for a license there that he could exchange in AB. However, he would then look like a new driver because he would come to Canada with a brand new license. Still, he should be able to exchange even a brand new license for at least a GDL license and that allows him to drive by himself. If he does this, it would be a good idea to make a copy of his old license with the issue date, get a translation of it into English and even get a drivers abstract from the police in his country so he can prove his driving history if needed.

CharlizeRai

Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2012
AOR Received.
06-09-2012
File Transfer...
14-09-2012
Med's Done....
13-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
Hey Leon,

Thanks for all of the information. Good to know he can drive here for the first 90 days!

I just realized something that could affect his time considered driving. In Romania they just changed their protocol for obtaining your license (it now requires a medical), so those who already have their license, can go in and get this new one (without doing a medical), as long as it was done prior to January 18 2013. Thus, my husband has a 'new license' that I presume has the new issue date on it. UGH. I'm hoping he has a way to obtain a driving abstract.

Thank you for your lovely response! I will definite explore some more on the websites you have provided. Thank you!!

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
CharlizeRai said:
Hey Leon,

Thanks for all of the information. Good to know he can drive here for the first 90 days!

I just realized something that could affect his time considered driving. In Romania they just changed their protocol for obtaining your license (it now requires a medical), so those who already have their license, can go in and get this new one (without doing a medical), as long as it was done prior to January 18 2013. Thus, my husband has a 'new license' that I presume has the new issue date on it. UGH. I'm hoping he has a way to obtain a driving abstract.

Thank you for your lovely response! I will definite explore some more on the websites you have provided. Thank you!!
Hi CharlizeRai

Although a little late reply but maybe it can be used.
Make sure your husband gets a letter from the ministry of transportation of Romania declaring the initial issuance of his driving licence. If this letter confirms that his first licence was more than two years old then he brings it with him have it translated by an authorized Canadian translator and he will avoid the GDL (Graduated Drivers Licence)

Regards
messenger

Reactions: sstarrgazerr

CharlizeRai

Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2012
AOR Received.
06-09-2012
File Transfer...
14-09-2012
Med's Done....
13-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
messenger said:
Hi CharlizeRai

Although a little late reply but maybe it can be used.
Make sure your husband gets a letter from the ministry of transportation of Romania declaring the initial issuance of his driving licence. If this letter confirms that his first licence was more than two years old then he brings it with him have it translated by an authorized Canadian translator and he will avoid the GDL (Graduated Drivers Licence)

Regards
messenger
Super helpful! Thanks!!

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..