Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
I swapped my Arkansas licence for an Ontario one last September (I'm here as a visitor, only just now applying for PR based on common-law). I went back to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago for a visit, rented a car, and drove with my Ontario licence no problem. I'm not sure how other countries handle that, but it seems fine in the U.S.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
Panamai said:
I swapped my Arkansas licence for an Ontario one last September (I'm here as a visitor, only just now applying for PR based on common-law). I went back to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago for a visit, rented a car, and drove with my Ontario licence no problem. I'm not sure how other countries handle that, but it seems fine in the U.S.
hi panamai, what did they do to your arkansas licence?

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
They took it and returned it to the DMV in Arkansas.

zuzuzu

Feb 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I hope I’m not asking a question already answered somewhere else on the forum. I swear I searched! :)

I arrived in B.C. as a visitor in December and have applied for both PR and OWP under inland spousal sponsorship simultaneously a month ago.
I am from a visa exempt country (Czech Republic) so I only have a stamp in my passport. I also haven’t received an AOR yet.
I have a Czech driver’s license and have been a driver for 7 years so I have enough experience to just go through the tests and get a BC license.

I went to an ICBC licensing place in January and asked them what it was that I needed to do to get a BC licence. I was told I had to get a confirmation of status and that, because I am a visitor, I have 6 months to apply for the license.

That’s super confusing to me as the information on their website specifically says 90 days.
I also checked online and found out that the confirmation of status form (IMM 1442, I think) is the same form that I’d get with my Open work permit and, as OWP is now being issued in up to 4 months under the pilot program, I figured it would make more sense to just wait for the OWP and not apply for the confirmation of status.

Nonetheless, I was still really confused with all the conflicting info that I decided to call the ICBC today.
I explained my situation to the lady and she kept telling me I only had 90 days since my arrival to apply for the license and that to get the license I needed a confirmation of permanent residence (she named two IMM forms). I explained to her that it can take 2-3 years to get a PR. I asked her whether she meant that I needed to get a confirmation of the PR application. She claimed that that’s what she just said. Ugh
Anyway, I decided to ignore the fact that she was giving me the wrong information, and just asked her if I would be able to still get a driver’s license if I ran out of the 90 days since arrival. She said that she couldn’t help me with that. She ended up being really rude with me but in the end said that as long as I bring in the confirmation of status, I can still apply for the license even after the 90 days period has ended.

I’m sure you understand why I don’t trust the information she provided so I wanted to ask people on here as everyone here seems to know more than call agents at any institution.

- Do I really need a confirmation of status or is OWP enough to apply for a license, as a confirmation of visitor status can take up to 6 months and OWP should only take 4 months?
- Does the 90 days really count since the day I arrived here as a visitor (in December)?
- What happens if I run out of the 90 days (which I will in a month) and try to apply for a license couple months later with an OWP? Will I have to go through the whole learner and novice stage??

Thanks everyone!!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zuzuzu said:
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm not asking a question already answered somewhere else on the forum. I swear I searched! :)

I arrived in B.C. as a visitor in December and have applied for both PR and OWP under inland spousal sponsorship simultaneously a month ago.
I am from a visa exempt country (Czech Republic) so I only have a stamp in my passport. I also haven't received an AOR yet.
I have a Czech driver's license and have been a driver for 7 years so I have enough experience to just go through the tests and get a BC license.

I went to an ICBC licensing place in January and asked them what it was that I needed to do to get a BC licence. I was told I had to get a confirmation of status and that, because I am a visitor, I have 6 months to apply for the license.

That's super confusing to me as the information on their website specifically says 90 days.
I also checked online and found out that the confirmation of status form (IMM 1442, I think) is the same form that I'd get with my Open work permit and, as OWP is now being issued in up to 4 months under the pilot program, I figured it would make more sense to just wait for the OWP and not apply for the confirmation of status.

Nonetheless, I was still really confused with all the conflicting info that I decided to call the ICBC today.
I explained my situation to the lady and she kept telling me I only had 90 days since my arrival to apply for the license and that to get the license I needed a confirmation of permanent residence (she named two IMM forms). I explained to her that it can take 2-3 years to get a PR. I asked her whether she meant that I needed to get a confirmation of the PR application. She claimed that that's what she just said. Ugh
Anyway, I decided to ignore the fact that she was giving me the wrong information, and just asked her if I would be able to still get a driver's license if I ran out of the 90 days since arrival. She said that she couldn't help me with that. She ended up being really rude with me but in the end said that as long as I bring in the confirmation of status, I can still apply for the license even after the 90 days period has ended.

I'm sure you understand why I don't trust the information she provided so I wanted to ask people on here as everyone here seems to know more than call agents at any institution.

- Do I really need a confirmation of status or is OWP enough to apply for a license, as a confirmation of visitor status can take up to 6 months and OWP should only take 4 months?
- Does the 90 days really count since the day I arrived here as a visitor (in December)?
- What happens if I run out of the 90 days (which I will in a month) and try to apply for a license couple months later with an OWP? Will I have to go through the whole learner and novice stage??

Thanks everyone!!
There's a reason why some people refer to ICBC as `Icky Bicky' LOL!

Here's what their own website shows for an acceptable form of primary ID:

Student, work, visitor, OR temporary-resident permit.

If any of these documents expire within six months, you will only be able to apply for an interim driver's licence (paper) and not a photo licence. If you brought these in the last time you visited our office you must also bring in your most current immigration document.
Must show your full legal name.

Now for the bad news...You will need to take a written test as well as a road test, since you do not qualify for a `reciprocal licence' (where you could have simply exchanged your current licence):

If you’re from any other country not listed as “reciprocal”, you can still apply for a B.C. licence. But in addition to the application, you’ll need to take a knowledge and road test.

You have up to 90 days to apply, but we recommend doing it as early as you can—you’ll need to book a road test and may have to wait for an available appointment.

Good luck!

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:

If any of these documents expire within six months, you will only be able to apply for an interim driver's licence (paper) and not a photo licence. If you brought these in the last time you visited our office you must also bring in your most current immigration document.

Now for the bad news...You will need to take a written test as well as a road test, since you do not qualify for a `reciprocal licence' (where you could have simply exchanged your current licence):

If you're from any other country not listed as “reciprocal”, you can still apply for a B.C. licence. But in addition to the application, you'll need to take a knowledge and road test.

You have up to 90 days to apply, but we recommend doing it as early as you can—you'll need to book a road test and may have to wait for an available appointment.

Good luck!

I did all that, live in Edmonton, AB. I challenged the advance road test and it was super easy. My only question is, the license is valid till 2016 and my status ends in 08.2015, so if I don't get my OWP on time, how can I renew it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
I did all that, live in Edmonton, AB. I challenged the advance road test and it was super easy. My only question is, the license is valid till 2016 and my status ends in 08.2015, so if I don't get my OWP on time, how can I renew it?
I don't know, because you're not in BC, but...you really should have your OWP by then, thanks to the pilot program, right?!

zuzuzu

Feb 19, 2015
Ponga said:

If you're from any other country not listed as “reciprocal”, you can still apply for a B.C. licence. But in addition to the application, you'll need to take a knowledge and road test.

You have up to 90 days to apply, but we recommend doing it as early as you can—you'll need to book a road test and may have to wait for an available appointment.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah I read about the 90 days to apply but my issue currently is that I will definitely not be able to apply in the 90 day period since my arrival, as I will not get my OWP in time for that.
I am really confused about what happens if I am late to apply for the license - let's say I get the OWP in 3-4 months from now which makes it like 6 months since my arrival and go to apply for the license. Will they tell me no and I won't be able to go through the tests and get the BC license or will I be OK even though it's been longer than 90 days?

Sorry to keep asking, it's just been on my mind for so long and I worry that I won't be able to drive when I need to.

I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. It's people like you on this forum who even made it possible for my partner and I to apply for the PR sponsorship because of all the advice on here.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
I don't know, because you're not in BC, but...you really should have your OWP by then, thanks to the pilot program, right?!
I'm counting on it :) Thanks!