+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver license for parents on PR vs IDP

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
Need to check if its better to get a driver license for parents on PR here or an International driving permit. They plan to come at a stretch of 6 months at most per year

kwgcda

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
When I got my Alberta drivers license, I had to give up my NZ one. But I'm not sure if that's the case for all countries. I'd check with your local registry to find out, or do a quick google search.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
When I got my Alberta drivers license, I had to give up my NZ one. But I'm not sure if that's the case for all countries. I'd check with your local registry to find out, or do a quick google search.
It is not legal in any Canadian province to have a Canadian provincial licence AND a licence for another country. Note that rules for driving licences in Canada vary by Province, so technically there is no such things as a 'Canadian driving licence'.

Some reading and links to official sources here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver's_Licence-Canada

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
Need to check if its better to get a driver license for parents on PR here or an International driving permit. They plan to come at a stretch of 6 months at most per year
Yes. Indian driving license will have to be surrendered. First need to do an online test at registry and if passed, wait for a month to apply for road test. Only condition your parents should have a indian driver license with a chip on it. otherwise after you get ur learners you have to wait for 1 yr to get Canadian operators license.

Reactions: nadalfan

nadalfan

Jan 26, 2019
Yes. Indian driving license will have to be surrendered. First need to do an online test at registry and if passed, wait for a month to apply for road test. Only condition your parents should have a indian driver license with a chip on it. otherwise after you get ur learners you have to wait for 1 yr to get Canadian operators license.
Hi Vinit, I am about to submit my driver's license to the registry. Problem is that I had laminated my driver's license and the text has stuck on to the lamination and is not legible on the card. However, my DL has a chip on it.
In your experience, would they accept it? Or would I have to keep learner's license for a year? Thanks for your help.