+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drive UBER on closed work permit

imrankhan78

Sep 10, 2021
Hi,

Can I drive Uber on a employer-specific work permit after my working hours to cover some travelling and car cost.

If it is not allowed then why uber approved my application after submitting all documents including eligibility of work, where I submitted my work permit.

Please help

imrankhan78

Sep 10, 2021
You can only work for the employer named on your closed work permit.
Is driving part time (few hours) considered working for another employer.

Further my employer has No objection, as long as I complete my working hours with them.

Big question: Why UBER approved my application with current work permit? Don't they know about regulation or it is allowed.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is driving part time (few hours) considered working for another employer.

Further my employer has No objection, as long as I complete my working hours with them.

Big question: Why UBER approved my application with current work permit? Don't they know about regulation or it is allowed.
Are you on a closed work permit with LMIA with an employer specified? If yes, you can’t work for Uber even if your employer approves. It is not Uber’s responsibility to ensure you are meeting your work permit conditions. You should not be applying to jobs if on a closed, employer-specific permit.

imrankhan78

Sep 10, 2021
I am on a closed work permit with LMIA exempted. Actually I am owner and major share holder of company I work for.

Is there any way to contact IRCC to get exact picture of this. please help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on a closed work permit with LMIA exempted. Actually I am owner and major share holder of company I work for.

Sure you can call them. Contact info is on the site. But right now you can't take any other employment since your visa is employer specific. The point of the closed work permit and you are the owner is that you don't need to take outside work.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Can I drive Uber on a employer-specific work permit after my working hours to cover some travelling and car cost.

If it is not allowed then why uber approved my application after submitting all documents including eligibility of work, where I submitted my work permit.

Please help
Uber only asks for a GST HST number to drive . That’s for taxes . And it’s considered employment regardless if it’s on closed work permit or self employment
It’s not UBER who has to approve it, it’s the IRCC. And you’re not an employee for UBER. It’s considered self employment

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Pretty clear just look at the conditions of your WP. It indicates the one employer you are allowed to work for. If you are working for Uber stop immediately. If you are the owner of the company why are you needing approval from your employer? Something doesn’t make sense.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

OK. And now you said you are your own employer and you said OK to yourself to work outside of your close work permit job.

It's a close work permit and you can ONLY work for that company.

Uber doesn't care. You are the one who need to ensure that you can legally work under the condition of your work permit. You will have issue with anything that will require you to disclose your work history (e.g. PR application, further visa application and hidding it will be misresprenstation)