+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drive to Toronto with study permit:how much tax and duty will I pay for the car?

Ben215

Oct 15, 2014
Hi,

I'm currently in US and is planing to drive to Toronto in December. I'm doing some research on how to import my car into Canada.

My research shows that there are mainly two charges: RIV charges duty(6.5%) and GST(5%), Ontario charges sales tax(13%).

Adding those together comes to a shocking 24.5% of the total car price. Sad

I also read that with study permit, I can drive my car into Canada without register with RIV. My question is that, does that mean I don't have to pay the duty and GST in this way?And what about Ontario sales tax? I guess I still need to register my car in Ontario, right?

Anyone have imported cars to Canada with study permit please help, many thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ben215 said:
Hi,

I'm currently in US and is planing to drive to Toronto in December. I'm doing some research on how to import my car into Canada.

My research shows that there are mainly two charges: RIV charges duty(6.5%) and GST(5%), Ontario charges sales tax(13%).

Adding those together comes to a shocking 24.5% of the total car price. Sad

I also read that with study permit, I can drive my car into Canada without register with RIV. My question is that, does that mean I don't have to pay the duty and GST in this way?And what about Ontario sales tax? I guess I still need to register my car in Ontario, right?

Anyone have imported cars to Canada with study permit please help, many thanks!
The car can enter Canada as a visitor without you paying anything. You'll just need to maintain insurance on it from your US insurance provider.