+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

drive from Detroit to Windsor

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

I need to drive from Detroit to Windsor next week. I landed last June and haven't got my permanent resident card yet due to problems with my photo. I do have the landing documents and record. My understanding is that, if I rent a car with Canadian plate in Detroit, and bring with me the landing record and passport, I should be good to go. Just want to have a double check, is that correct? Thank you.

Also, where do I clear custom? On the Ambassador bridge? I googled and found a Detroit-Windsor tunnel (http://www.dwtunnel.com/), shall I take that tunnel instead of the bridge? Normally, how long does it take to clear custom? Thank you very much for your help!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you take a rented car you can re-enter with your landing records and passport. If your luggage is loaded in the car, the officer may just ask about the stuff you bring. If it is reasonable you may not be needed to pay any customs at the Ambassador bridge. I never went through the tunnel.

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply! :) :)

wilson said:
If you take a rented car you can re-enter with your landing records and passport. If your luggage is loaded in the car, the officer may just ask about the stuff you bring. If it is reasonable you may not be needed to pay any customs at the Ambassador bridge. I never went through the tunnel.