+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubts related to a newcomer (international student)

Jeltsin25

Mar 8, 2021
Hello to everyone!

I got my student visa approved some days ago, and now there are a lot of doubts. I would like you to share some of your experience regarding these doubts:
- Where to look for accommodation? I have seen some web pages but I don't know which ones are reliable and which ones are scams.
- Transportation: I am going to study in London, Ontario, and the airport is in Toronto. How can I go from the airport to the city I am suppose to live?
- Time: I am planning to go 1 month before classes begin. Is it enough time? Too much time? Too little?
- Banks: are there any advice regarding to which bank I should open an account from my country? would be more convenient to open an account in some banks over the others?
- Jobs: is it possible for me to do volunteering while my work permit gets activated when my classes begin? Since I'm planning to go to Canada 1 month before classes, and as I cannot legally work until that date, I was thinking on doing volunteering for any potential employer so I can gain experience and knowledge so when I can finally start working legally, I would be helpful from the beginning and I would shorten the time of me being unemployed.

I would really appreciate your help with these doubts that are arising right now. Thanks so much to those who can give me some pieces of advice regarding to any of the points I have mentioned

Thanks in advance

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello to everyone!

I got my student visa approved some days ago, and now there are a lot of doubts. I would like you to share some of your experience regarding these doubts:
- Where to look for accommodation? I have seen some web pages but I don't know which ones are reliable and which ones are scams.
- Transportation: I am going to study in London, Ontario, and the airport is in Toronto. How can I go from the airport to the city I am suppose to live?
- Time: I am planning to go 1 month before classes begin. Is it enough time? Too much time? Too little?
- Banks: are there any advice regarding to which bank I should open an account from my country? would be more convenient to open an account in some banks over the others?
- Jobs: is it possible for me to do volunteering while my work permit gets activated when my classes begin? Since I'm planning to go to Canada 1 month before classes, and as I cannot legally work until that date, I was thinking on doing volunteering for any potential employer so I can gain experience and knowledge so when I can finally start working legally, I would be helpful from the beginning and I would shorten the time of me being unemployed.

I would really appreciate your help with these doubts that are arising right now. Thanks so much to those who can give me some pieces of advice regarding to any of the points I have mentioned

Thanks in advance
- look on-line for accomodations if there is no residence
-to get to London you can fly, drive or take a bus or shuttle
-don't go earlier than 1 month, they might not let you in unless you have proof you can support yourself before school begins
-I don't have info for your other questions

All of the stuff you mention you should have been researching as part of where you were planning to study, the school, the city, a place to live etc. Most if not all of that info is available on-line or through a search on here. Google is your friend. Good luck.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I'm not sure if any employer would accept "volunteer" work, because that IMHO is basically worker exploitation. Unless you are volunteering to some community or church and non-profit organizations.

Just an opinion.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hey,

1. Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist. If a deal is too good to be true, it's a scam. I've seen people doing facetime calls with the person renting the room/place before they come to Canada, if the landlord agree to this is probably not a scam.
2. I'd say 2 weeks is more than enough for you to get to know around in the city, visit your school so you know where to go the first day of classes, get your SIN number, ID, etc.
3. Jobs: You can volunteer your time working for a non-profit, church, etc. Google volunteer opportunities either close to the place you'll be living at or close to your school. Volunteer for a company on the other hand it's not as common and probably hard to find in a couple weeks.
4. Banks: You can open a Scotiabank account from your home country.

- look on-line for accomodations if there is no residence
-to get to London you can fly, drive or take a bus or shuttle
-don't go earlier than 1 month, they might not let you in unless you have proof you can support yourself before school begins
-I don't have info for your other questions

All of the stuff you mention you should have been researching as part of where you were planning to study, the school, the city, a place to live etc. Most if not all of that info is available on-line or through a search on here. Google is your friend. Good luck.