+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubts on Renewal of Passport After ITA but before VISA Stamping

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Folks,

We had applied for the Permanent Residency under the Express Entry Program. Post that we had got the ITA and now we have got mail from the CIC office to send the passports to High Commission of Canada in New Delhi for further processing and action at there end.

Please find the details as below:

Primary Applicant: Passport Expiry Date 31/01/2018

Dependent Applicant: Passport Expiry Date 01/02/2017

We plan to travel to Canada latest by 1st September 2016.

We had few questions, request your response:

With the above details, the dependent's passport will have less than the required 6 months of validity at the time of travel to Canada (i..e on 1st September), if granted PR.

1.a - Should we get the passports stamped with the existing expiry dates, and then get the passports re-issued.
1.b - If we follow 1.a, then whether the VISA on the old passport be valid with the new (re-issued) passport as well.
1.c - If the VISA will not be valid on the new (re-issued) passport, then what is the process of getting the VISA stamped on the new passport.

2.a - Should we get the passports re-issued and get the new passports stamped with the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.
2.b - While sending the new passports, are we also required to send the old passports to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.
2.c - Please confirm that the changed passport numbers would not affect the authenticity and validity of my application.
2.d - Where and with whom are we supposed to update the new (re-issued) passport numbers - CIC OR the High Commission of Canada New Delhi,or Both.
2.e - Please enumerate the process of updating the new (re-issued) passports details with both - CIC and High Commission of Canada New Delhi

Request you to kindly suggest the best way so as to get the Visa Stamped on our passports.i.e. whether, I should send existing passports OR the renewed passports.

Regards
RV

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
Folks,

We had applied for the Permanent Residency under the Express Entry Program. Post that we had got the ITA and now we have got mail from the CIC office to send the passports to High Commission of Canada in New Delhi for further processing and action at there end.

Please find the details as below:

Primary Applicant: Passport Expiry Date 31/01/2018

Dependent Applicant: Passport Expiry Date 01/02/2017

We plan to travel to Canada latest by 1st September 2016.

We had few questions, request your response:

With the above details, the dependent's passport will have less than the required 6 months of validity at the time of travel to Canada (i..e on 1st September), if granted PR.

1.a - Should we get the passports stamped with the existing expiry dates, and then get the passports re-issued.
1.b - If we follow 1.a, then whether the VISA on the old passport be valid with the new (re-issued) passport as well.
1.c - If the VISA will not be valid on the new (re-issued) passport, then what is the process of getting the VISA stamped on the new passport.

2.a - Should we get the passports re-issued and get the new passports stamped with the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.
2.b - While sending the new passports, are we also required to send the old passports to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.
2.c - Please confirm that the changed passport numbers would not affect the authenticity and validity of my application.
2.d - Where and with whom are we supposed to update the new (re-issued) passport numbers - CIC OR the High Commission of Canada New Delhi,or Both.
2.e - Please enumerate the process of updating the new (re-issued) passports details with both - CIC and High Commission of Canada New Delhi

Request you to kindly suggest the best way so as to get the Visa Stamped on our passports.i.e. whether, I should send existing passports OR the renewed passports.

Regards
RV
Where does it say that your passport needs to be valid for another 6 months when you land?

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Hi,

While the mail mentions the below quoted text
Please take this letter and present it to VFS for the purchase of the secure Passport Transmission Service. VFS will send your passport to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi in a secure envelope. You will then be advised by VFS when your passport has been returned and is ready to be picked up.

Please note that permanent resident visas cannot be placed in Diplomatic, Official or Military passports.
There must be at least two blank pages in each passport.
We are unable to issue a visa beyond the expiry date in your passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months.

UNQUOTE

However, I have read somewhere on the post that the Passport needs to be valid for at-least 6 months at the time of travel.

Also, do you suggest that we get the existing passport stamped from the High Commission of Canada now and get the passports re-issued before travel. In that case does the VISA stamped on the old passport hold good, or do we have to get the VISA stamped on the new passports as well.

Regards
RV

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
However, I have read somewhere on the post that the Passport needs to be valid for at-least 6 months at the time of travel.
That's not what it says in the PPR email. It says it needs to be valid for 6 months, which means by the time they receive it for affixing the visa.

I recommend you just use your current passports and do the landing with them. This will be the easiest and most hassle-free solution.

Once in Canada, you can apply for new passports with your embassy.

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Hi,

Thanks, also would you suggest that we get the VISA stamped on the current passports. Post that and before leaving to Canada we get the Passports re-issued while we are in India (as it would be faster - would get the new passports withing 3 working days in India).

In that case, does our VISA stamped on the old passports hold good ? I have read in a post that if you get your passport re-issued than the VISA stamped on the old passport does not hold good - Is this Correct???

Regards
RV

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
Hi,

Thanks, also would you suggest that we get the VISA stamped on the current passports. Post that and before leaving to Canada we get the Passports re-issued while we are in India (as it would be faster - would get the new passports withing 3 working days in India).

In that case, does our VISA stamped on the old passports hold good ? I have read in a post that if you get your passport re-issued than the VISA stamped on the old passport does not hold good - Is this Correct???

Regards
RV
No, that's not what I am suggesting. It is the opposite. Do NOT get new passports before you arrive in Canada.

If you get your visa affixed to your current passport and then get a new passport before you travel to Canada, the old passport will be invalid - along with the visa in it.

You won't even get on a plane like that because you won't have a valid visa.

Once you land in Canada, does it really matter how long it takes to get new passports? Sure, it would be nice to have them in three days but why?

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks a lot for your patient response and also for the understanding that re issuing passport post stamping makes the visa invalid.

Now come the other case of getting the current passports renewed and only send the new passports (along with old ones) to the High Commission for VISA stamping. Does the change of passports numbers invalidate my application and thus form a ground for rejection in granting the VISA.

Please Note: I appreciate your advice of sending the current passports for stamping and then getting it renewed in Canada. However, I may be going to USA in August to write an Exam before landing into Canada in September. And I have been advised to have a six month Expiry from Travel Date before the US Travel Date.

Due to this, the concerns about reissuing the passports before leaving the country. Kindly guide.

Thanks
RV

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
Thanks a lot for your patient response and also for the understanding that re issuing passport post stamping makes the visa invalid.

Now come the other case of getting the current passports renewed and only send the new passports (along with old ones) to the High Commission for VISA stamping. Does the change of passports numbers invalidate my application and thus form a ground for rejection in granting the VISA.

Please Note: I appreciate your advice of sending the current passports for stamping and then getting it renewed in Canada. However, I may be going to USA in August to write an Exam before landing into Canada in September. And I have been advised to have a six month Expiry from Travel Date before the US Travel Date.

Due to this, the concerns about reissuing the passports before leaving the country. Kindly guide.

Thanks
RV
I see - so it's actually got nothing to do with when you land in Canada, it's about a trip to the US!

Well, if it only takes 3 days to get a new passport, why don't you get new ones BEFORE you send them to the High Commission for affixing the Visa?

Just send them the new passport along with your old (invalid) ones and include a letter that explains that you have new passports.

Should be fine - this guy did the same, but unlike him I would advise you to include a brief explanation:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-renewal-while-you-got-ppr-t236244.0.html;msg3432235#msg3432235

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Hi.. Thanks A lot for your help.. Hopefully they don't reject our application due to change in the passport numbers in the CIC application., and the one being sent for stamping.

However your advice of explanation letter should do the trick. So I would get them renewed and send the New Passports (along with old ones) for stamping.

Will update the post once I get the passports stamped.

Regards
RV

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
Hi.. Thanks A lot for your help.. Hopefully they don't reject our application due to change in the passport numbers in the CIC application., and the one being sent for stamping.
Changing the passport is not grounds for rejection, as long as you inform them of it and do so within the deadlines you're given.

Your application is associated with you as a person, not with your passport.

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Hi..

Firstly, we would be sending an explanation letter with passports (New + Old) for stamping to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi. However do you know of any email address to inform the CIC - Ottawa Office (as the online application now does not allow to make any changes).

OR we informing the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi, shall suffice the requirement of informing them about the changes in our passport numbers.

Regards
RV

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMMICANQUERY said:
Hi..

Firstly, we would be sending an explanation letter with passports (New + Old) for stamping to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi. However do you know of any email address to inform the CIC - Ottawa Office (as the online application now does not allow to make any changes).

OR we informing the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi, shall suffice the requirement of informing them about the changes in our passport numbers.

Regards
RV
Renew your passport, get the new one and send the new & old passport along with an explanatory note to NDVO via VFS Global. Ensure that you do all this within 30 days of having received that communication from IRCC.

You could also send in old & new passport bio page(s) along with an explanatory note to IRCC via CSE and wait for their response but that's just an additional step in an otherwise simple process and IRCC can take up to 2 weeks or longer before responding to your CSE - sending it to NDVO is just so much more easier.

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks!

I would get the passport renewed in tatkal and then send both the documents along with the LoE to NDVO.

This forum help me a lot to clarify the doubts.

Cheers.

RV

vnsmech

May 3, 2016
Hi,

Need a quick help on a query.

We have received the ITA and have uploaded the documents and submitted the same to CIC for review and haven't received any further updates yet.

However, now i have to reissue my passport due to some unavoidable reasons and the passport number would change too.

And me being the primary applicant ,I wanted to understand the consequences of changing the passport number.

Also I'm wondering how to connect with CIC on the same as I tried searching but nothing is mentioned on any website.

Do I have to submit or upload any specific documents with regards to the same.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

IMMICANQUERY

Mar 24, 2016
Hey vnsmech

I was in the same dilemma but I went ahead and did my passport renewal. We had informed about the change of nuber online and sent a LoE to Delhi high commission about the same. And with 10 days we got our renewed passports stamped with Immigrant Visa. :)

So in my experience you can get your PP renewed without any issue.

Best
RV