+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mr Van,

Canada is a free country and you can land anywhere you like. I put in Vancouver, but perhaps I land in Calgary and explore the area and drive by car to Vancouver. Just take it easy.. the hardest part is over!

MikeNZ

Hafsa

Jan 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks qorax for such a great info...

I just want to know that if i dont land in the mentioned city then will i have to pay any thing ??

vannguyen

Mar 18, 2013
Hi Qorax!
Since there is no direct flight from my country (Vietnam) to Edmonton, we may need to transit in Vancouver and take a domestic connecting flight from Vancouver to Edmonton. My question is where shall I do all procedures for PR card? at Vancouver or Edmonton airport?

many thanks
van

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I am aware, transit is transit. You do not "leave" the airport or go through any customs. Hence Edmonton is your place to go through all formalities.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
vannguyen said:
Hi Qorax!
Since there is no direct flight from my country (Vietnam) to Edmonton, we may need to transit in Vancouver and take a domestic connecting flight from Vancouver to Edmonton. My question is where shall I do all procedures for PR card? at Vancouver or Edmonton airport?

many thanks
van
You clear immigration at the port of entry into Canada which in the situation you describe would be Vancouver. In the case you describe, you would present yourself to immigration, get your bags, go through landing formalities and then transfer your bags to the domestic flight. This is the same as if you were flying to Edmonton without landing - except for the "go through landing formalities" step.

My advice: make sure you leave plenty of time between your arriving flight (into Vancouver) and your departing flight (to Edmonton).

Good luck!

For what it's worth, I fly into Vancouver regularly, so I'm quite familiar with the immigration process there. The only time you would not clear immigration in Vancouver (in the situation you describe) is if you were transiting to a country other than Canada.

vannguyen

Mar 18, 2013
hi computergeek!
thanks for you advice.
but do i need to take out our bags and check in for connecting flight after completing immigration formality? or simply let the airlines transfer our bags to connecting flight to destination, which would be more convenient.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
vannguyen said:
hi computergeek!
thanks for you advice.
but do i need to take out our bags and check in for connecting flight after completing immigration formality? or simply let the airlines transfer our bags to connecting flight to destination, which would be more convenient.
My understanding (I've transferred in Toronto but never Vancouver because I live in Vancouver) is that you collect your bags and then deliver them to your airline's transfer desk. I know that's how it works through Toronto.

vannguyen

Mar 18, 2013
So we should collect our bags upon arrival at Vancouver and trnsfer them to domestic connecting flight to destination Edmonton. Thanks for your kind advice. Van

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
vannguyen said:
So we should collect our bags upon arrival at Vancouver and trnsfer them to domestic connecting flight to destination Edmonton. Thanks for your kind advice. Van
Yes. The transfer desk is about 20m from the carousel where you reclaim it so it's certainly not far.

Good luck - I hope life in Canada is good to you.

SHUKRZ

Mar 21, 2013
Hello All,

Right after I submitted my application for PR last year while I was in Montreal under the QSW, I got an offer to work in Alberta. I immediately notified the visa office of my address and employment status change but was still issued a visa on the 1st of March, 2013. The letter they have provided did not specify where exactly I am supposed to land but my destination city says "Montreal". I mean I was offered a job I cannot refuse but have no idea when I can return to Montreal. What to do?

Thanks!

ijlels

Mar 4, 2013
We just received our visa for my husband's FSW application. My husband is the principal applicant for myself and 2 children. We put Toronto as our POE on the application. We plan to live in Vancouver. My husband's flight will fly through Toronto to get to Vancouver so he will do his landing in Toronto. However, we have a direct flight to Vancouver. Will it be a problem to land in 2 different POE?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!