+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
virgiemaricel said:
@ Qorax: Sir, would there be any effect, if and when after we get our PR card, we decide to settle in Quebec? Let's say we find employers, will the govt allow us to work there?
Not a problem. As a PR u r permitted to call any province your home. Unless u r a PNP nominee (there r time-limitations of movement here) - u r free to work, settle & be adventorous.

Qorax

izhar_uk

Jan 23, 2011
Hi Qorax,

First of all, thank you very much for such useful informations that you provide to all of us regarding PoE. I have also just got the PR recently and will be travelling in early March 2011. I would like to take some words of advice from you. We plan to stay in Montreal for few months and then move to Calgary. Since Montreal is in Quebec, I understand we must go through another territory to complete our process of landing. However we will land in toronto first and will catch another flight to Montreal. Do you think we can complete our landing process in Toronto ?? Another concern is regarding my wife. She is pregnant for 10 weeks and we hope to get the baby delivered in Canada. We already have private health insurance that will cover us in Canada as well until we get our Health Card. Do you think, would that be difficult for my wife to get appointments with doctor without health card for first few months ?? Someone told me that doctors overthere prefer those who have medicare to those who are covered privately.

your reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MMIA.

qorax said:
Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
izhar_uk said:
Hi Qorax,

First of all, thank you very much for such useful informations that you provide to all of us regarding PoE. I have also just got the PR recently and will be travelling in early March 2011. I would like to take some words of advice from you. We plan to stay in Montreal for few months and then move to Calgary. Since Montreal is in Quebec, I understand we must go through another territory to complete our process of landing. However we will land in toronto first and will catch another flight to Montreal. Do you think we can complete our landing process in Toronto ?? Another concern is regarding my wife. She is pregnant for 10 weeks and we hope to get the baby delivered in Canada. We already have private health insurance that will cover us in Canada as well until we get our Health Card. Do you think, would that be difficult for my wife to get appointments with doctor without health card for first few months ?? Someone told me that doctors overthere prefer those who have medicare to those who are covered privately.

your reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MMIA.
1. If u r an FSW - 'landing'@Toronto & then moving elsewhere wouldn't be a problem at all.

2. Yes, she can get medical assitance anytime (paid though - but appropriated later thru the THIC). But remember to get-hold of a 'family physician' asap... that'd help immensely. Nonetheless, u guys can approach any 'walk-in clinic/s' - and u wouldn't be disappointed.

Qorax

engrss

Jan 22, 2011
Hi Qorax i have similar concern, we r landing Alberta during March n my wife is expecting wid delivery due in May. We have two options.
1 complete PR formalities n come back within a month (since i m working in middle east n plan to contiue for 3 more years).
2 wife stays in canada untill delivery and then come back. In that case i would not be wid her .
What do u suggest which is best approach in this situation, would there be any problem if father is out of country for new born while mother is on PR. How much time it takes to complete travel docs of new born if born in canada.
Thanks in advance ,brother

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
engrss said:
Hi Qorax i have similar concern, we r landing Alberta during March n my wife is expecting wid delivery due in May. We have two options.
1 complete PR formalities n come back within a month (since i m working in middle east n plan to contiue for 3 more years).
2 wife stays in canada untill delivery and then come back. In that case i would not be wid her .
What do u suggest which is best approach in this situation, would there be any problem if father is out of country for new born while mother is on PR. How much time it takes to complete travel docs of new born if born in canada.
Thanks in advance ,brother
1. Having the baby@Canada is the wisest... he gets 'automatic' citizenship. Else, u'd have to apply afresh for her/his PR. Wait times & the botheration of apps could be a concern.

2. The most important factor is u being alongside her during the pregnancy - all the way thru. If u return, leaving her@Canada - there wouldn't be any problem, medical wise -- but there r lot other things that u guys should be doing together during those awesome days. Besides, this is the time she'd need u the most -- think about it!

Qorax

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
19-10-2010/ sent to CEM on 4-11-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
@ qorax: We got our visa today. Thank God! I read that we're not entitled to medical benefits for the frist 3 months. What private health insurance company can you recommend? Great service for not-so-expensive amount? Thanks! Anything can happen for the first 3 months and we want to be insured.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
virgiemaricel said:
@ qorax: We got our visa today. Thank God! I read that we're not entitled to medical benefits for the frist 3 months. What private health insurance company can you recommend? Great service for not-so-expensive amount? Thanks! Anything can happen for the first 3 months and we want to be insured.
Congratulations !
Pls read my 'Temp. Travel Insurance' thread.

Qorax

engrss

Jan 22, 2011
qorax said:
1. Having the baby @ Canada is the wisest... he gets 'automatic' citizenship. Else, u'd have to apply afresh for her/his PR. Wait times & the botheration of apps could be a concern.

2. The most important factor is u being alongside her during the pregnancy - all the way thru. If u return, leaving her @ Canada - there wouldn't be any problem, medical wise -- but there r lot other things that u guys should be doing together during those awesome days. Besides, this is the time she'd need u the most -- think about it!

Qorax
Thank you soo much Qorax, you are right i have to be with her during that time but only problem is that i can not take such long leave.. u know ME culture and practices.
Since I have my sisters over there so hope things ill be smooth . Can you advise how much time it takes for a new born to get passport for travelling back.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
engrss said:
Thank you soo much Qorax, you are right i have to be with her during that time but only problem is that i can not take such long leave.. u know ME culture and practices.
Since I have my sisters over there so hope things ill be smooth . Can you advise how much time it takes for a new born to get passport for travelling back.
6-8 weeks.

deep79

Oct 27, 2010
hi qorax thanx 4 all ur good advce,i am a aeo holder got my job offer in novasctia but nt gt d approval,iwant 2 knw dat can i land in toronto after geting the pr visa

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before landing in Canada,lot of research and planning is needed .Because shifting from one place to another is a very hectic,time consuming and money wasting affair. Try to explore all the possibilities , regarding Best city for your kind of Job,place of work from your home,salary, overheads,house rent,conveyance ,Taxes,medical insurance,buying a car and so on... I have read in numerous Topics that Vancouver is an expensive city to live, I agree, but try to explore small towns surrounding it. My personal views regarding POE or choice of best city to live or work are suburbs of big cities like Vancouver,Toronto or Montreal. Firstly being close to big Job Banks,it is easy to shuttle daily to your office and save considerable amount of money by living in big and expensive cities that creates holes in your pocket. Big cities have their own drawbacks and benefits, but during your initial days of Landing in Canada one should be more cautious about the drawbacks. Top most priority, according to our Grandmaster Qorax, should always be a good Job and all other things comes after that. Cities like Brampton and Mississauga near Toronto and city of Victoria near Vancouver are some of the good options to begin your life and save lot of money in high rents and other overheads of a large city.
I request Grandmaster Qorax to spread some light on my views and enlighten the Future citizens of Canada about the issue of POE and settlement in the country of our dreams..
MAY GOD BLESS EVERY APPLICANT (who is reading this) REACH CANADA ASAP...
Bobby554

shijoal

Feb 27, 2011
new delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
newdelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Doc's Request.
not yet
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
06-09=2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
16-01-2012
Med's Done....
24-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
pls give me advice
i have mentioned landing place as toronto in the application.
will the processsing time differ from place to place?
if yes, what will be the processing time difference between toronto and nova scotia?

kindly give me a reply

i would be very thkfull to all

shijo111

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
shijoal said:
pls give me advice
i have mentioned landing place as toronto in the application.
will the processsing time differ from place to place?
if yes, what will be the processing time difference between toronto and nova scotia?

kindly give me a reply

i would be very thkfull to all

shijo111
It'd make no difference.
There r lot many 'other' factors deciding on one's processing timeframe.

Qorax

peterpan

Mar 16, 2011
Hihi

Thanks Qorax and all for the extremely useful info on this thread.

For me, I have just gotten my visa, and my indicated POE is Vancouver BC. However, I am now faced with a unique problem.

One of my sons, who is in his 2nd yr of Univ study locally, has applied for and been accepted to do an exchange program (1 year) at McGill U, which is in Montreal commencing Aug this year. As such, we are planning to enter Canada at Montreal to help him settle down. I read somewhere online that at the POE at Quebec, "we can actually inform the immigration our clear intention to reside in a province other than Quebec, and they will accept that" and will accept our "Record of Landing" in Montreal. Is that true?

If not, do we have to travel on land to the nearest POE outside Quebec (which is the nearest, anyone knows?) and do our "Record of Landing" there?

Otherwise, if we can provide a permanent address that is not in Quebec for the sending of our PR cards, will the Quebec immigration accept this as our intention to reside elsewhere?

A friend has suggested that my son can change his passport to a biometric one (currently is an old version) which will bear a new passport number, and then apply for a student visa for study at McGill U to overcome this issue. I am hesitant on doing this as it means we are not being upfront.

I do hope that Mr Qorax can help me with this dilemma?

Many thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
peterpan said:
Hihi

Thanks Qorax and all for the extremely useful info on this thread.

For me, I have just gotten my visa, and my indicated POE is Vancouver BC. However, I am now faced with a unique problem.

One of my sons, who is in his 2nd yr of Univ study locally, has applied for and been accepted to do an exchange program (1 year) at McGill U, which is in Montreal commencing Aug this year. As such, we are planning to enter Canada at Montreal to help him settle down. I read somewhere online that at the POE at Quebec, "we can actually inform the immigration our clear intention to reside in a province other than Quebec, and they will accept that" and will accept our "Record of Landing" in Montreal. Is that true?

If not, do we have to travel on land to the nearest POE outside Quebec (which is the nearest, anyone knows?) and do our "Record of Landing" there?

Otherwise, if we can provide a permanent address that is not in Quebec for the sending of our PR cards, will the Quebec immigration accept this as our intention to reside elsewhere?

A friend has suggested that my son can change his passport to a biometric one (currently is an old version) which will bear a new passport number, and then apply for a student visa for study at McGill U to overcome this issue. I am hesitant on doing this as it means we are not being upfront.

I do hope that Mr Qorax can help me with this dilemma?

Many thanks
1. Yes, trying to enter Montreal [a Quebec city] for 'landing' w/out an onward destination & address can prove hazardous for a FSW case. That Univ's docs of your son might be of some assistance -- but, u r looking@many complicacies/confusions... and delays. Which could be better avoided.

2. Ottawa is the nearest POE... u might use that to enter Canada - & move to Montreal later. Remember, as a PR residing in Montreal isn't an issue -- but, 'landing' could pose challenges.

Qorax