+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

@mitS

May 5, 2018
I got PR for Canada.i apply under FSW and I got COPR but my prov of destination QC and prov of city was Montreal
My doubts , I am travelling from Auckland ( Newzealand) we don’t have any direct flight to Montreal.but I got one flight from Auckland to Vancouver and next connecting flight from Vancouver to Montreal after 4 hours
I any issue if I land Vancouver first and take connecting flight

Thanks

Hi Bro,

It's not relevant to your query.
Just have question for you as to how long it took you to get you passport stamp from Sydney. As I am based in New Zealand as well and my passport is sent to Sydney VAC for stamping.
It's been over 3weeks already but the status still shows "being processed at Sydney VAC". I called up Sydney VAC and the said it takes anywhere between 3days to 3month. Have you had any such issues after you'd sent your passport for stamping and how long it took you to get it stamped?
Why so much time? Do they do any other checks even after PPR for which they need so much time before stamping.

Really appreciate any advice on this...

Kwt123

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hi guys,

My COPR says city of destination is Hamilton (which I just picked randomly when I filled in my PR online application). However, and after researching several cities, I decided to live in Toronta.
Can I land in Toronto instead of Hamilton? As long as Toronto is also in the province of Ontario, as I have a PNC from Ontario.
Highly appreciate if you could please get back to my asap as I'm traveling on Sunday morning and I need to book my ticket asap.

Thanks a lot

dayasabiha

Jan 21, 2019
Mauritius
Category........
QSW
Hello,

I have apply to immigrate to Canada as Quebec Skilled Worker, i got my CSQ and Immigrant visa. My question is can i land to a different Port of Entry other than at Quebec, that is Toronto. I learned that in some cases the Immigration Officer wont let you do the lending formalities and in other cases i read on the forum that is generally acceptable for an immigrant to land at a different POE than than on his COPR.

Plz reply urgently whether i can land at Toronto

Kwt123

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hello,

I have apply to immigrate to Canada as Quebec Skilled Worker, i got my CSQ and Immigrant visa. My question is can i land to a different Port of Entry other than at Quebec, that is Toronto. I learned that in some cases the Immigration Officer wont let you do the lending formalities and in other cases i read on the forum that is generally acceptable for an immigrant to land at a different POE than than on his COPR.

Plz reply urgently whether i can land at Toronto
Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, and especially for Quebec, and since you got your CSQ from them, you have to land there.
A friend of mine also had a CSQ, he landed there, stayed there for a couple of weeks. Flew back home, and when he decided to go back to Canada, he went to a different province. But this was back in 2010. Not sure if the rules and regulations have changed since.

shalva

May 27, 2019
hello,
i have sent the flight Itinerary for TRV mexico city-Montreal-Ottawa. now i am planning to change Itinerary. Can i buy flight tickets Mexico city-Torornto-Ottawa? or i should have use the same Itinerary as i mentioned while was applying application forms?

mch90

Jun 9, 2019
Hi,
I got my CoPR as part of Federal Skilled Workers program. The province of destination stated on my CoPR is Ontario, while I now intend to land and settle in Vancouver BC. Since the posts that say that this is OK are quite old, can anyone confirm that the rules have not changed? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi
I got my PR Visa And COPR under spousal sponsorship and my intended destination is Mississauga, ONTARIO ,
I booked my flight and we will be landing in Montreal and staying there for 3 days and than from there we will be driving to Toronto, ONTARIO .
Is it going to be any issue ??
Please reply
Thanks
others can comment as well but You will have to be prepared to convince CBSA that you have no intention of staying in Quebec immediately following your landing given if not they could refuse to land you and just allow entry as a visitor

Ultimately no way to predict though and if refused at Montreal you will either need to land at local office in Ontario or flagpole

Apr 22, 2019
Hi everyone!

I’m sponsoring my wife and her dependent child and they finally gottheir CoPR’s and we are ready to go to Canada (I’m currently with them). Our destination is Montreal and I have ourCSQ’s for Quebec as well.

We decided to buy flights to Edmonton instead of Montreal and spend a two week holiday there as my mother livesin AB and would like us to visit her before we settle in QC.

Since our final destination is QC and we will put our address in QC down for where to send the PR cards, will we have any problems for our Port of Entry as AB and not QC? Would she still have to give the CSQ’s to the immigration officer in Edmonton and canthey justgive her the landed status there? I know many people land in other Port of Entry’s which isn’t on their application. Besides she got her PR through family sponsorship and not through any provincial program. I know technically once she goes through the customs she will be considered a landed immigrant and be entitled to the Canadian charter of rights which allows her to live and travel freely throughout Canada. I just want to make sure she and herdependent child can land in AB and visit my family like a holiday for a couple weeks before we go to QC. Will they ask for a flight ticket to QC from AB? Also what’s the worst case scenario if there’s a problem?

many thanks

Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.

kash04

Jun 24, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have received my COPR via Nova Scotia PNP and we are planning to move to Halifax. I am currently living in Dubai and there are no direct flights from Dubai to Halifax. There is a connecting flight available via Toronto. I understand the immigration formalities will be done first in Toronto but would that be a problem since the city of destination mentioned in the COPR is Halifax?

Also, can I do self-connecting flights? What I mean is I book 2 separate flights (Dubai to Toronto and same day Toronto to Halifax). Would that be a problem with immigration? The reason I want to do that is I will be travelling with my dog and the co-operated flights are not allowing pets to travel.

Thanks