+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubt regarding Canadian Work Experience

Jun 16, 2020
Hello Fam ! Hope everyone is doing well. I have one doubt that I want to clarify regarding Canadian Experience Class Category. During my work experience, I have been working for a company which I left after 4 months. So, the company gave me an Experience Letter, mentioned me as a part time worker as I was in probation period. As we can have part time work too, making 1560 hours in 2 years. So, my question is can I consider those 4 months of part time as 2 months of Full time? From there onwards I'm working full time in some different company with same NOC category.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Fam ! Hope everyone is doing well. I have one doubt that I want to clarify regarding Canadian Experience Class Category. During my work experience, I have been working for a company which I left after 4 months. So, the company gave me an Experience Letter, mentioned me as a part time worker as I was in probation period. As we can have part time work too, making 1560 hours in 2 years. So, my question is can I consider those 4 months of part time as 2 months of Full time? From there onwards I'm working full time in some different company with same NOC category.
It depends how many hours you worked. To calculate how much work experience you gained in this part time role, add up all of the hours you worked and then divide by 30. The number you get is the number of weeks of work experience you can claim from this job.

Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for replying. Total number of hours I’ve worked over there is roughly 600 hours, completed in a span of 18 weeks. So, can I consider this work as 9 weeks of full time?

ghost114

Nov 3, 2019
Hi there,
My friend currently holds an open work permit { his spouse is an international student } and he has a job as a web developer in Calgary right now ,so the question : Can he apply for Pr ? Thank you .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So, the company gave me an Experience Letter, mentioned me as a part time worker as I was in probation period. As we can have part time work too, making 1560 hours in 2 years.
First things first. "Probation" is not "part-time employment." Some employers call on-call workers part-time, even if they work full-time hours. IRCC does not care what your employer calls it - they want to know the number of hours worked per week, and that is a required detail in the letter of employment. For IRCC, part-time is fewer than 30 hours per week, full-time is 30 or more hours per week, regardless of what your employer calls it.

How many hours did you work per week? If it was consistently 30 or more hours, you can count the experience as full-time. If you worked a mix of full- and part-time hours, you have to do the math - you need the exact hours, and you cannot count more than 30 hours in a given week.

Thanks for replying. Total number of hours I’ve worked over there is roughly 600 hours, completed in a span of 18 weeks. So, can I consider this work as 9 weeks of full time?
See, so this doesn't make any sense to call this part-time work, since the full-time threshold for 18 weeks would be at least 540 hours.

So, clearly at least some of the time you worked full-time hours. You cannot count "roughly." You have to do the math, and you have to be able to document it.

Reactions: Wolfpmd3

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi there,
My friend currently holds an open work permit { his spouse is an international student } and he has a job as a web developer in Calgary right now ,so the question : Can he apply for Pr ? Thank you .
If he meets the requirements...

Jun 16, 2020
Thank you so much for replying. Regarding number of hours worked, there have been a couple of weeks in which I worked less than 30 hours in a week. So, I was a bit doubtful if I should consider the whole time as full time or part-time. And also the employer mentioned in the letter of experience as I was hired on part-time basis, working on an average 30 hours per week. And they recommended that I should consider it as part time just for being on safe side. So, I was thinking of considering the whole span as a part time and have worked 2 extra months than 1 complete year. So my real question is If I consider that span as part time, can I consider 18 weeks of that work equivalent to 9 weeks of full time. And rest of the weeks from my current full time job?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you so much for replying. Regarding number of hours worked, there have been a couple of weeks in which I worked less than 30 hours in a week. So, I was a bit doubtful if I should consider the whole time as full time or part-time. And also the employer mentioned in the letter of experience as I was hired on part-time basis, working on an average 30 hours per week. And they recommended that I should consider it as part time just for being on safe side. So, I was thinking of considering the whole span as a part time and have worked 2 extra months than 1 complete year. So my real question is If I consider that span as part time, can I consider 18 weeks of that work equivalent to 9 weeks of full time. And rest of the weeks from my current full time job?
It is not "on the safe side" to ignore IRCC rules. You and your employer can make up all the rules you want, but IRCC will use their own. I have told you how to correctly calculate it, the rest is up to you.

You have to show the number of hours you worked, and correctly calculate it. If you are undercutting your actual experience for some reason (claiming only 9 weeks when you worked 18), I think IRCC may wonder what is wrong with this situation.

Jun 16, 2020
So, what I will do is I’ll put this work as full time, showing exact number of hours worked regardless of what is mentioned on my letter of experience. Should that be good?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So, what I will do is I’ll put this work as full time, showing exact number of hours worked regardless of what is mentioned on my letter of experience. Should that be good?
You haven't done the math, so I cannot begin to suggest how many weeks you can put.

As previously mentioned, you count the full-time weeks as full-time, and the part-time weeks as part-time.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
It is not as easy, you need to provide more details if you are expecting anyone to tell you for sure.

For IRCC purposes, you can only count towards your Canadian Experience hours the first 30 hours you worked each week.

So for instance, if you worked 40+50+60+40 hours over the span of 4 weeks that would add up to 120 hours (30+30+30+30) and not 190h--> because any time worked beyond 30 hours per week cannot be counted.

Similarly, if you worked 40+15+10+12 that would add up to 67 hours (30+15+10+12) and not 77.

It doesn't really matter what your employer calls it, what matters are the # of hours worked each week and to not forget that any time worked beyond 30h per week cannot be counted. Of course, all this should be clearly indicated in your letter of employment and other supporting evidence.

Jun 16, 2020
Understood. One quick question, can we consider the weeks in which the work done was less than 30, by adding the hours worked and dividing the total with 30 to get number of weeks?