+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubt cleared on MBBS internship as Work experience

ss1989

Mar 7, 2018
Hi everyone,
I went through a lot of discussions on whether MBBS internship can be treated as work experience and I was not able to get a clear answer. So I thought of clearing it out for others who might have the same doubt.

A brief background, I am mentioning about doctors in India (or countries where there is a similar course structure) who undergo 5 and 1/2 years of medical school. 4 and 1/2 years is devoted towards coursework and the last one year is for doing an internship (during which they are paid a salary as well). One starts with their internship by obtaining a provisional pass certificate stating that they have completed the required coursework and a temporary practice license is approved.

Based on NOC 3112, I found out a medical intern is also a valid designation to be considered for that category of NOC. So what I did was I obtained a letter from the dean of my college stating what my role was during the internship, the period of my internship and the pay that I was getting. My transcripts mentioned that I had coursework for the 4 and 1/2 years. This information aligned with the letter obtained from the dean. I got my MBBS degree verified my MCC and then I applied for the express entry (under FSW program). And guess what! IT WORKED.

How I interpret this is that the role that one plays during internship is the most crucial aspect. The immigration officer should be convinced that one year of internship was actually used to obtain skill equivalent to a medical intern. If they are convinced with the help of a letter from the medical school, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also my timeline is below:
AOR: Jan 31st, 2018
Medicals cleared: Feb 13th, 2018
RPRF: Feb 14th, 2018
Passport request: Feb 27th, 2018
Passport reached Ottawa: March 5th, 2018
Application approved: March 6th, 2018

Hope this helps.

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Hi, thank you so much for your post. It is really helpful. I wanted to ask you about the MCC source verification what did you fill in the graduation date, like did you put in the date of your last internship day or when you cleared the final prof 2 exam?
Also what did you put as the academic study end date, the date you completed your intrnship or the date you cleared the final part 2 exams?

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Hi everyone,
I went through a lot of discussions on whether MBBS internship can be treated as work experience and I was not able to get a clear answer. So I thought of clearing it out for others who might have the same doubt.

A brief background, I am mentioning about doctors in India (or countries where there is a similar course structure) who undergo 5 and 1/2 years of medical school. 4 and 1/2 years is devoted towards coursework and the last one year is for doing an internship (during which they are paid a salary as well). One starts with their internship by obtaining a provisional pass certificate stating that they have completed the required coursework and a temporary practice license is approved.

Based on NOC 3112, I found out a medical intern is also a valid designation to be considered for that category of NOC. So what I did was I obtained a letter from the dean of my college stating what my role was during the internship, the period of my internship and the pay that I was getting. My transcripts mentioned that I had coursework for the 4 and 1/2 years. This information aligned with the letter obtained from the dean. I got my MBBS degree verified my MCC and then I applied for the express entry (under FSW program). And guess what! IT WORKED.

How I interpret this is that the role that one plays during internship is the most crucial aspect. The immigration officer should be convinced that one year of internship was actually used to obtain skill equivalent to a medical intern. If they are convinced with the help of a letter from the medical school, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps.
Hi, thank you so much for your informative post. I just wanted to confirm what exactly did you mention in your role during internship. I would be really thankful to you for the same.

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

Hope this helps.
Hey... I’m already in Canada and my lawyers misguided me for PR.! I have done MBBS from India. I did MBA in Canada.

According your message I can apply straight away for PR which I am going to by myself.

can you please share your contact info to help me out with filling out the details. And the letter that I need to get from dean please? Will pay you for your time. Please help.

ss1989

Mar 7, 2018
Hey... I’m already in Canada and my lawyers misguided me for PR.! I have done MBBS from India. I did MBA in Canada.

According your message I can apply straight away for PR which I am going to by myself.

can you please share your contact info to help me out with filling out the details. And the letter that I need to get from dean please? Will pay you for your time. Please help.
Hi, I would say that tell honestly what your duties were during the MBBS internship (what you actually did in the hospital). Thats what I had asked my Dean's letter to state. Also for NOC 3112 you have to get your degree verified by MCC in which they would mention that you completed your degree requirements on the day you passed your final MBBS. So the internship period doesnt overlap. Hope this helps.

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
Hi, I would say that tell honestly what your duties were during the MBBS internship (what you actually did in the hospital). Thats what I had asked my Dean's letter to state. Also for NOC 3112 you have to get your degree verified by MCC in which they would mention that you completed your degree requirements on the day you passed your final MBBS. So the internship period doesnt overlap. Hope this helps.
Can you please send me the format of the letter please?
And I have already verified MBBS degree through WES, isn’t that fine?

do I have to go through MCC now!?

You can mail me your experience letter at sharmashaunak727@gmail.com

I will be highly grateful to you for this.

ss1989

Mar 7, 2018
If you want to apply through NOC3112, MCC verification is required as this is a professional degree verification and the institution that has the right to verify is with Medical council of Canada (MCC). Secondly, I can share the basic format of the letter. It should contain the following:
1. Duties - major departments posted, responsibilities, patient care information
2. Hours worked per week
3. Salary per month (in Rs and in CAD)
4. Your performance as a medical intern

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
If you want to apply through NOC3112, MCC verification is required as this is a professional degree verification and the institution that has the right to verify is with Medical council of Canada (MCC). Secondly, I can share the basic format of the letter. It should contain the following:
1. Duties - major departments posted, responsibilities, patient care information
2. Hours worked per week
thanks for the quick responses as I’m really having a limited time.

I’m stuck at following questions:

academic start date
Academic end date
Graduation date

i was able to get only diploma issue date.
And what documents do I send to mcc?
passport and medical degree? Or internship and medical transcripts as well on the top of above two documents?

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
2. Hours worked per week
my college people are asking for sample letter to replicate. Can you please email it to me at sharmashaunak727@gmail.com

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2. Hours worked per week
Hope you can also honestly post about how hard it is to get licensed as an MD in Canada now that you have been in Canada. Assume you may be in contact with other IMGs. Any IMG coming to Canada must realize they may never practice medicine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How many years did you work in India? If you only worked 1.5 years you wouldn’t have qualified.

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

Hope this helps.
hey bro
For MCC verification,
Which date should I enter in graduation date?

the date when I received the third MBBS 2 marksheet?
last day of internship ?
the day I received the degree certificate?

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
Hope you can also honestly post about how hard it is to get licensed as an MD in Canada now that you have been in Canada. Assume you may be in contact with other IMGs. Any IMG coming to Canada must realize they may never practice medicine.
I’m aware of that.

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
Hi, thank you so much for your post. It is really helpful. I wanted to ask you about the MCC source verification what did you fill in the graduation date, like did you put in the date of your last internship day or when you cleared the final prof 2 exam?
Also what did you put as the academic study end date, the date you completed your intrnship or the date you cleared the final part 2 exams?
Hey man
Which date am I supposed to put in the graduation date?
Third MBBS 2 marksheet date or internship date or degree date?