+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Double-checking... Sponsoring US Common-law spouse (Outland)

Moni11m

Jul 25, 2009
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I would like to double-check that we are following the correct process for his immigration to Canada.

I am a Canadian Citizen, he is a US Citizen. We have lived in a common-law relationship for just over one year in the US, as I was attending graduate school in the US for the past 2 years. We actually met and began our relationship in June 2006, traveling back and forth between the US and Canada to visit each other. In October 2006 we made a big mistake in having him come to Canada with the intention to move there permanently, but we were not as aware about immigration procedures at the time - he told the border officials that he was planning to stay in Canada and apply for PR, and they gave him a 1 month visa, which we decided not to extend on the advice of an immigration lawyer. So, he returned to the US to work there for the next year while we figured out what to do. I began to attend graduate school in the US and we spent time in Canada together on vacation on two occasions (and encountered absolutely no problems with border officials as we traveled back and forth). We were re-united in 2008 in the US, as we were finally able to arrange to live together in the US while I finished my last year of graduate school there. We do intend to get married in the future, but we are not yet engaged and have no wedding plans underway at this time. If necessary, we could get married (we even have the means to have a rather large ceremony) before we leave the US, but we would prefer to wait a year or so for various reasons. From my reading on these forums and the CIC website, we should have more than sufficient information to prove our common-law relationship.

My US visa will expire next month and we are planning to return to Canada together at that time. I have an excellent job that I will be starting almost immediately upon my return, and after reviewing all the sponsorship and applicant forms, I do not see any reason for me to be declined as a sponsor or for him not qualify as an applicant. From what I understand, he should attend the border crossing with minimal personal belongings and I must speak on his behalf and show the proof of our common-law relationship and that I intend to sponsor him and file for Permanent Residence. (And I would provide all the documents for the PR application ready-to-submit, just not actually submit it yet.) By this time I would have already paid all the PR application fees and there would be no need for him to have a return ticket to the US. If all goes well, he could be granted extended status and receive a Visitor Record. We would then file the PR application once in Canada, and apply for further extended status if necessary.

Under this procedure, he could return to the US while the PR application processes if necessary (although we do not see any need for him to do so, barring any family tragedies), but he would not be able to get permission to work or attend university in Canada until the PR application has processed. This method (Outland application) would be faster than Inland, and less risky, as I understand it.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could verify that my understanding and outline of the procedure is correct, or if there are any suggestions as to what we should change in our approach. I just want to make sure we don't make any big mistakes and that we can continue to live together :) Thank you so much for your time in reading this!

Edited (added): I was previously advised that it would be best for me simply to return to Canada and have my boyfriend join me there as a visitor, and then to apply to sponsor him on an Inland application. That way, he could either apply to extend his visitor status or he would be able to apply for a student permit after the initial approval and potentially return to school within 6 months. However, it seems from what I have read so far, that this would be a greater risk for us to take? I should clarify that at this point, money is not really a concern, even if he has to be without work for a year, I make plenty to cover us both, and we just want to make sure that we can stay together.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply outland whether he is staying with you or not and he can go visit you or visit the US while outland is being processed. I think outland is the better option in your case.

Moni11m

Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for your reply, it definitely eases my worries. However, I think what I'm really most worried about is something going wrong at the border when we return to Canada together, lol.

Moni11m

Jul 25, 2009
Just thought of another question, if anyone can help.

We could either drive from Seattle or fly directly to Vancouver when we cross the border into Canada. Is there a difference or any reason it would matter if by that point we have already paid our fees and are about to file the PR application? I would think that it would be the same anywhere, but if it's better to cross the border one way or the other, may as well do it that way. Or is it just pure luck in terms of the IO we happen to get?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't officially move to Canada until you get your PR so whether you have applied for it or not by the time you go to Canada, you are still officially only visiting until you get it.

Moni11m

Jul 25, 2009
I have been busy preparing our application, and when I asked our friends and family to write letters for us to be notarized, attesting to our relationship, this question often came up - should they mention that they know that we want to get married next year? Officially we are not engaged yet, but we have mentioned to our loved ones that we do plan to marry in 2010. If it is mentioned in the letters, does that in any way hurt our application, or should we ask them to leave out that detail?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't really think it matters that much. It may strengthen your relationship claim but better hope the IO doesn't decide to wait for you to get married :)

Moni11m

Jul 25, 2009
Another question as we are preparing to cross the border together at the end of the month. Any suggestions for how to speak to the customs officer at the border? I myself am a returning resident (having been in the US for about 2 years now on a student visa) and boyfriend of course is entering as a visitor and would like to get an extended visitor visa if possible. I am having my personal items shipped separately, so we will both be arriving at the border by car, with only 2 suitcases each and our cat. Do I just introduce us both and state that we've started the application process (fees paid, application like 90% done and will be submitted in the next couple weeks, since we're still waiting for his FBI criminal record check to be returned to us), and that if possible we would like him to be able to visit me for as long as possible, and that we'd like to request an extended visitor visa? Or is there a better more tactful way to go about it? I'm so nervous about the procedure at the border - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need to request to extend his visit visa until it's about to expire, 30 days before it expires to be exact.