Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
I read a lot about the job issued for immigrants in Canada especially getting the types of job they left back home or in a different country. I have seen lots of people doing surviving jobs or awkward jobs but there are chances for success,

1. Never give up :)

2. Modify your resume with Canadian style resume, normally people in employment centers or canadian government run help centers make your resume worst. So be careful because they don't know your profession well. I have seen lots of example (I help my friends to modify resumes, learned it from U Waterloo consulting club esp finance, business professionals. If you need help contact me at zulkfal @ gmail.com but remember I may take some time 2-3 weeks to reply )

3. Upgrade your skills take courses in Canada, there are lots of certificate courses offered in Uniz, I don't prefer community colleges as they can't replace uni. Use provincial and other education fundings or grants in best way. So, choose uni for certificates which are normally for eight months. (I have MA from Waterloo, MSc from LSE, BSc from Queen Mary, 18 months exp in global advisory firm. Lots of interview but due to not having Canadian financial experience trying. I recently applied to York for Certificate in Accounting to go for CA, so try, improve your self and skill set)

4. Use linkedin as much as you can. Networking is important very important

5. Work in low paying jobs but don't spend whole time on that, spend 2 hours a day to search for good jobs and 4 on weekend days, never apply on weekend always b/w Monday-Friday as normally lots of candidates apply on weekend and firms skim through weekend apps or some time they go to low in recruiters inbox.

I have seen lots of people who are working in good jobs, but they upgraded their skills started from low level jobs (not very low but have seen VP's starting as Analyst) but rapidly promoted to better positions some time as little as in six months.

Any question esp finance related profession am happy to answer. Good luck

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Zulkfal

My heartful of thanks to you for this post.
You depicted the true scenario of job condition in Canada. gave us the best tips.
however, Canada is suffering from its unchanged unemployment rates, yet there are hopes for the skilled ones. skilled ones will always get through no matter how hard the situation gets. btw, have you seen any collision between ordinary/skilled Canadians in terms of jobs?

Keep posting more of your observations. they'd obviously help us.

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
Don't look at overall unemployment rate for Canada, it varies with province also the method used by statistic canada is criticized by academics and industry professionals. In last quarter Canada did will the unemployment rate was dropped by 1.6%. Economist divide labor market into two categorize primary (skilled) labor market and secondary (low paying or jobs which don't need any skills or require skills which can be learn quickly normally from 0 min to 4 weeks).

Secondary labor market: Easy to get into pay you rent, daily expenses but no saving, hand to mouth. Lots of immigrants fall into this category because they don't update their skills or if they acquire some that skill set doesn't help them to move to primary market normally these skills are taxi, truck. forklift driver etc.

Primary market: Little difficult to get in, requires networking skill upgrade, little Canadian experience in relevant profession. But pay well, good life, better work conditions.

The employer don't want to know you are Canadian or not, they call you for interview by screening your resume, but lots of immigrant resume I saw (expect people with experience in EU or Aus market) have terrible resumes. For example, I met a guy during resume critique session at U Waterloo. This guy worked in a leading bank in UAE as SVP for 11 years, but he was unable to get an interview call. I shouldn't have called him for interview for entry level position as after looking at his resume. Blue color, just tile of positions with little information about what he did. Other stupid mistakes, he changed his resume and took a diploma in financial management from Reyrson university (8 months diploma) on our advice now he works for a leading financial advisory firm Manager (was recruited as Senior Consultant but promoted to Manage in 5 months based on his performance). Some people are very luck they get job in their profession without skill upgrade normally with IT background as there are lots of jobs for IT normally in support work.

Skilled labor market has higher unemployment rate than national unemployment rate but there are jobs, people get hired. I know people because I met some people who worked hard and became successful in Canada and through them I met lots of successful immigrants. Same time I met unsuccessful immigrants as well, these people were unsuccessful because they didn't bother to acquire new knowledge, start working in surviving jobs and literally gave up to move to upper level labor market.

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
Hi zulkfal.....i have sent u a PM , kindly check n reply if possible.
thanx

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)
zulkfal, nicely portrayed. +1

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess unskilled people are doing well in Canada at the moment.
Can't understand immirgration policies, they make a list of occupations in demand and when you get into Canada you cant find jobs......... Another political move to cheat new immigrants.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
nicholas30 said:
I guess unskilled people are doing well in Canada at the moment.
Can't understand immirgration policies, they make a list of occupations in demand and when you get into Canada you cant find jobs......... Another political move to cheat new immigrants.
Hi Nicholas30,
My friend has told me same thing. That those who are not highly educated stand a better chance in Canada. She said she has been to many interviews and the complain is she is over qualified for the job. So sometimes i get confused.

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honestly from what I see, read, feedback from new immigrants you got to work your way UP. So why they say skilled immigrants.... :p :p :p :p
Can someone tell if your NOC has all the job duties they need, why can't they give you a job once you land in Canada????? Now please don't say Canadian experience that's an excuse.........
So this shows they want people to apply just for their revenue and go there with their funds and struggle initally........... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
There are several reasons behind this, lots of employers doesn't know about universities and organizations out side Canada. Therefore, are normally reluctant to take risk on immigrants for senior positions. Will you believe Canadian employer don't know about London Business School I was shocked when Head of Equity research at RBC said where this school is and I was just looking at his face. Same applies to firms as well. These are the barriers to entry. One of my friend's father immigrated to Canada in 2001, taught for 20 years in UK, Fra, and Pak, but he started as data entry operator with Bell but since last 8 years he is working with Bell in Project Management team now Associate Director Project earning 6 figures. He moved rapidly from Data entry to project management. I know other people who are working in well settled positions. Same time there are people who are still driving cab. There are demographic differences in labor markets and they exist approx in every market. IT is little different in that scenario

IYNGR_75

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zulkfal said:
Will you believe Canadian employer don't know about London Business School I was shocked when Head of Equity research at RBC said where this school is and I was just looking at his face.
This is so funny!!

Thanks for the great info, Zulkfal! Guess its like a catch-22 situation, good experience, no Canadian qualification, no/low paying job!! :(

B

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
nicholas30 said:
Honestly from what I see, read, feedback from new immigrants you got to work your way UP. So why they say skilled immigrants.... :p :p :p :p
Can someone tell if your NOC has all the job duties they need, why can't they give you a job once you land in Canada????? Now please don't say Canadian experience that's an excuse.........
So this shows they want people to apply just for their revenue and go there with their funds and struggle initally........... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I agree with you. That is why they insist on the funds.

canada_future

Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0631 & 6242
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 sent with application
zulkfal said:
I read a lot about the job issued for immigrants in Canada especially getting the types of job they left back home or in a different country. I have seen lots of people doing surviving jobs or awkward jobs but there are chances for success,

1. Never give up :)

2. Modify your resume with Canadian style resume, normally people in employment centers or canadian government run help centers make your resume worst. So be careful because they don't know your profession well. I have seen lots of example (I help my friends to modify resumes, learned it from U Waterloo consulting club esp finance, business professionals. If you need help contact me at zulkfal @ gmail.com but remember I may take some time 2-3 weeks to reply )

3. Upgrade your skills take courses in Canada, there are lots of certificate courses offered in Uniz, I don't prefer community colleges as they can't replace uni. Use provincial and other education fundings or grants in best way. So, choose uni for certificates which are normally for eight months. (I have MA from Waterloo, MSc from LSE, BSc from Queen Mary, 18 months exp in global advisory firm. Lots of interview but due to not having Canadian financial experience trying. I recently applied to York for Certificate in Accounting to go for CA, so try, improve your self and skill set)

4. Use linkedin as much as you can. Networking is important very important

5. Work in low paying jobs but don't spend whole time on that, spend 2 hours a day to search for good jobs and 4 on weekend days, never apply on weekend always b/w Monday-Friday as normally lots of candidates apply on weekend and firms skim through weekend apps or some time they go to low in recruiters inbox.

I have seen lots of people who are working in good jobs, but they upgraded their skills started from low level jobs (not very low but have seen VP's starting as Analyst) but rapidly promoted to better positions some time as little as in six months.

Any question esp finance related profession am happy to answer. Good luck
Nicely defined i am sure would help immigrants.
+1 for you mate.

schwarzeradler

Mar 10, 2010
zulkfal said:
Will you believe Canadian employer don't know about London Business School I was shocked when Head of Equity research at RBC said where this school is and I was just looking at his face.
Well, you cannot really blame him, he obviously doesn't have a clue, does he? LBS is world renowned. They are just being arrogant -Canadian Experience!

amoroso

Star Member
Jun 17, 2008
Thanks zulkfal for that good explanation..
I agree it's really tough to start in Canada esp if you already experience earning dollars from US. The government is soo confusing, little job but required highly skilled immigrants..sucks!

Anyway, how about if your in Telecoms do u have any idea how to upgrade since it's all proprietary..what do u think?