+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Don't know anyone that meets the criteria of a passport guarantor

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
I moved to Toronto recently form Vancouver, and I don't know a lot of people here. Anyone know a notary in Toronto that would act as a passport guarantor

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I moved to Toronto recently form Vancouver, and I don't know a lot of people here. Anyone know a notary in Toronto that would act as a passport guarantor
There is a procedure for those that cannot find a guarantor. BUT: it will require extra work and issues and possibly delays.

If you can find a guarantor in Vancouver, that would be better - use the post. Again, it really only needs to be an adult who holds a valid Canadian passport and has known you for two years.

Here's the procedure if you literally cannot find a guarantor:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor

Note, a notary in this procedure is not 'acting as a guarantor' - they're just having you swear an oath before them; any notary should be willing to have you swear such an oath. (Not an expert, I think this is an accurate summary.)

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
There is a procedure for those that cannot find a guarantor. BUT: it will require extra work and issues and possibly delays.

If you can find a guarantor in Vancouver, that would be better - use the post. Again, it really only needs to be an adult who holds a valid Canadian passport and has known you for two years.

Here's the procedure if you literally cannot find a guarantor:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor

Note, a notary in this procedure is not 'acting as a guarantor' - they're just having you swear an oath before them; any notary should be willing to have you swear such an oath. (Not an expert, I think this is an accurate summary.)
Wouldn't it just be faster to go to a notary and get this done in Toronto itself. Sending the application to Vancouver and having it returned will take a long time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Wouldn't it just be faster to go to a notary and get this done in Toronto itself. Sending the application to Vancouver and having it returned will take a long time.
Mail each way takes what, 3-4 days? Use a courier if you want.

You must first go to Service Canada and get the form. Then schedule a notary. Etc.

But most importantly: expect IRCC to look very carefully into files that don't have a guarantor (because what you're saying by not having one is "nobody knows who I am.") Who knows how long that could take?

But up to you.

Last edited:

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Mail each way takes what, 3-4 days? Use a courier if you want.

You must first go to Service Canada and get the form. Then schedule a notary. Etc.

But most importantly: expect IRCC to look very carefully into files that don't have a guarantor (because what you're saying by not having one is "nobody knows who I am.") Who knows how long that could take?

But up to you.
Can the guarantor be a family member? Like an uncle, aunt or cousin?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can the guarantor be a family member? Like an uncle, aunt or cousin?
Seriously, read the instructions:
"You need a guarantor for your travel document application. As long as they meet these requirements, your guarantor can be anyone, including a family member or member of your household."

Note, there is a section above that for references, which is more restrictive for family members, but even for them:
"anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship and lives at the same address as you
  • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they can’t be a reference."
So the answer is that your aunt uncle or cousin can be your guarantor, and any of them could be a reference as long as they don't live with you.

Reactions: kathychang