+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Domestic Assault

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Today I got my petition filed for divorce under domestic violence. How do I apply for work permit?
You still have to figure out whether you actually qualify for one. You can’t file for divorce until you have been in Canada for a year so that is also an issue. You are likely to run into a few issues. Based on your previous posts it sounds like the abuse was in India. It sounds like you somewhat recently got married and there was one incident where he scratched you and then he got arrested in India. You arrived in Canada without his knowledge because you want your PR and feel like you deserve PR. You could have remained in India and applied for divorce there. You had already separated there and there was already a peace bond in place. There was no need for you to actually come to Canada.

Last edited:

Harry2k8

Aug 3, 2019
I don’t know about your lack of information or you just advise normal rules. My lawyer got SIN number for work permit. Revise your knowledge first

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don’t know about your lack of information or you just advise normal rules. My lawyer got SIN number for work permit. Revise your knowledge first
I think what you are supposed to say when people are attempting to assist you, when you are going online looking for help from strangers doing it for free is " Thank you everyone for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated , but my lawyer somehow got a SIN for a work permit, would this be correct ?",

Reactions: jaseenaliottawa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on what you described you didn’t qualify for a work permit and arrived in Canada because you felt you deserved PR. What your lawyer communicated to the Canadian government may be totally different. You came to Canada after your marriage was already finished. You had already separated in India and were only in Canada because you had a TRV and came on your own terms. I sense that part was left out of your application.

Eligibility for a family violence TRP
Family violence is generally defined as any form of abuse or neglect inflicted by a family member. In this context, TRPs are intended for cases of family violence from a spouse or common-law partner. In assessing eligibility for a TRP, the officer considers if the foreign national is

• physically located in Canada and experiencing abuse, including physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse or neglect, from their spouse or common-law partner while in Canada
  • seeking permanent residence that is contingent on remaining in a genuine relationship in which there is abuse and if the relationship with the abusive spouse or common-law partner is critical for the continuation of the individual’s status in Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife