+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Domestic abuse while PR is in process

abby89

Jan 4, 2018
Hello guys,

I have met this woman on one of the groups and she seems to be getting abused by her husband daily. I have advised her to go to the woman's shelter and call the police. But I wanted to know whether this is the correct advice.

She has an inland application in progress which should get finalized in few months. Does reporting the violence with Police or going to a woman's shelter affect her application? Will IRCC know if she goes to the shelter? She does not want to go back to her country.

Please experts advise on this or if anyone has met with a similar situation.

Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's dangerous giving advice without knowing it is correct.

Her first priority should be her safety. If her relationship is degraded to the point of domestic abuse, she should be seeking safety and protection. Staying in an abusive relationship for PR is a bad idea.

If she leaves her husband, she may not qualify under standard spousal sponsorship applications, but she could attempt a humanitarian and compassionate application to remain in Canada.

But again, her primary concerns should be her safety, and not her PR application.

abby89

Jan 4, 2018
Exactly what I told her to seek for her safety first. But she is more concerned about the PR application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have met this woman on one of the groups and she seems to be getting abused by her husband daily. I have advised her to go to the woman's shelter and call the police. But I wanted to know whether this is the correct advice.

She has an inland application in progress which should get finalized in few months. Does reporting the violence with Police or going to a woman's shelter affect her application? Will IRCC know if she goes to the shelter? She does not want to go back to her country.
Not an expert and no direct experience. But strongly suggest reaching out to women's groups and shelters and refugee organisations and the like and asking the question; possibly MP or MPPs offices, not because they have direct experience but they DO keep contact numbers of groups that can help in these cases. Similarly churches and religious groups - most of which will try to help or find the right person to help even if the person is not a parishioner or even a person of that religion.

She is not the first person to have this concern, support groups and organisations will contact other ones to get information or find who is best placed to help. Also some may try to find legal assistance (pro bono), some municipalities and provinces have legal assistance programmes which she may be able to access.

She should also ask if she is concerned: I believe most groups and shelters will not contact the police or authorities without express consent from the person at risk - note, of course, that there are circumstances where they may be required to notify police - e.g. if there is any 'clear and present danger' of loss of life.

Another thought: some immigrants are concerned/scared because all of their 'support' contacts are related to their home-country community, and there are social / cultural issues. Worth discussing explicitly whether she wishes to go outside that community, stay inside it, or limit some way.

(I suspect it may help if you or a mutual friend could contact some of these organisations on her behalf to provide her info)

Reactions: k.h.p.

abby89

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Do you know whom can I contact on her behalf? It is such a tricky situation for a woman who has come here with her child and the only person she knows here is her husband.

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Hello guys,

Please experts advise on this or if anyone has met with a similar situation.

Thank you
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/abuse.html
Call 1-888-242-2100 to contact our Client Support Centre for information on your citizenship or immigration status.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Do you know whom can I contact on her behalf? It is such a tricky situation for a woman who has come here with her child and the only person she knows here is her husband.
Belarusian provided a page with links - and I would show her that internet page and resources too, to reassure her that the government does not want women to stay in abusive situations for immigration purposes. (It might take her a while to trust that)

But no, I don't have specific numbers. Depends on province and city. There are resources there on that link to find them.

Or call up your MPs office. Or your city councillor. Or MPP. Or walk into a church or other reglious org and ask the pastor. Universities and colleges have counselling services, they're often willing to be helpful if you're mainly asking for references. If she has a doctor she trusts, doctors will usually have contact numbers and the like. Many cities have help lines or hotlines of various types - I'm sure there are domestic abuse hotlines in some localities.

Again, not an expert, just suggestions on how to start looking into it.

Wahedi

Sep 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
london visa office
she should straight forwrd report it to police
she will given shelter and in case of pr getn resolved her TRV will be extended and she will be compensated on humaniterian grounds a relation which bcmz suffocating should be lft for granted

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I would also be very, very cautious about calling services on her behalf, unless you have solid reason to believe that she is a victim or is at serious risk. Many times people who are well intentioned report abuse, and if the abuse victim is not personally ready, they will deny that the abuse is occurring when questioned by the police, leading to complicated legal issues.

Tell her that there are resources available, show her what is available - but be very cautious about reporting without her knowledge or consent. If you suspect physical violence, call the police.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would also be very, very cautious about calling services on her behalf
That is a good point.

For clarity: when I wrote above, I was only referring to getting information that you can provide to her, and offer to help of course.

But inquiries you make on her behalf are a different thing than naming her.

Even that advice that I just wrote - well, you should ask professionals in the field how you can help her.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would also be very, very cautious about calling services on her behalf, unless you have solid reason to believe that she is a victim or is at serious risk. Many times people who are well intentioned report abuse, and if the abuse victim is not personally ready, they will deny that the abuse is occurring when questioned by the police, leading to complicated legal issues.

Tell her that there are resources available, show her what is available - but be very cautious about reporting without her knowledge or consent. If you suspect physical violence, call the police.
OP, I agree with this. You can place a victim in more danger by reporting abuse when they are not ready to. It's unfortunate but in domestic violence cases, unless the victim is willing to get help, there is likely not much that can be done by outsiders unless you directly witness the abuse.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She should call 311 or the police if she is looking to get out of an abuse situation ASAP. Calling immigration or an MPs office won’t get you in touch with the local shelter services right away. I believe that over half of homicide in Peel region have been as a result of domestic abuse this year. Unfortunately for cultural reasons many families would disapprove if the woman left her husband even if was due to abuse. I would hope this woman would want to leave for her own safety and wellbeing if not just for the health and safety of her child. Don’t think leaving will be easy. You have to be very strong and you will be expected to go out and support yourself if you are granted a special emergency work visa. If leaving you must be prepared never to return again or your life will be at increased risk. Some family members may not be happy with your choices. Would include this very sad article. It is a good reminder that even after you leave you must never have contact again and that women die all the time through domestic violence. Immigration status is secondary to your life and the life and mental health of your child. Given that this is not his child her child is at increased risk of abuse. At least she is in a country that will support her if she wants to leave her husband and won’t try to convince her to return so the family will look good.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-man-charged-with-first-degree-murder-after-woman-killed-in-machete-attack-1.4590462?cache=yes?ot=AjaxLayout?clipId=263414?clipId=1745623

Star_234

Jul 30, 2020
Hi. I got married and arrived in Canada with my spouse last year on visitor visa. My PR and open work permit are currently in process. I have been facing domestic violence since a long time and I finally reported that to the alberta police few days back and they charged him for domestic assault. He is a PR right now but I dont know what consequences it can have on my application now? And if in case he revokes my application, how do I move ahead as I can be asked to leave the country