+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doing extra freelance work while having a full time job

San.Jamous

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018
hi everyone,

I have just moved to Toronto 2 months ago as PR. I’m an interior designer and I got a full time job here now.
My questions is am I allowed to do some freelance work for my self in my free time? Because I have a client from my old company who would like me to do one project for him.
I understand that later when I file my taxes I will have to declare that income and mention it. Which is fine as long as I’m allowed to and I guess I don’t have to register a company or anything if I’m just doing freelance right?
Also if you guys have any additional advise let me know
Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're a PR - you're allowed.

You may wish to visit a small business enterprise centre for advice around how best to do freelance work: https://www.ontario.ca/page/small-business-enterprise-centre-and-community-based-provider-locations Sometimes registering a company is a good idea for legal liability reasons, and it would not impact your ability to do freelance work on the side (I do this, for example).

As a PR, there are no rules as to whether or not you freelance in your spare time. If you are working as an interior designer but also freelancing as an interior designer, you may want to check to see if your employer has any policies against this. Your employment contract may include a prohibition on doing similar work for other clients outside of your day job.

San.Jamous

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018
1. My freelance work is too small for now I don't think I want to go through the hassle of registering a company and opening a bank account etc. Unless it grows later in the future I would consider it. But yeah I mean my concern is as long as I am not breaking any laws when I have extra income coming to my account and as long as I declare it as self employment income then it should be fine?

2. My employment contract only says that I'm not supposed to do any other work that would affect my performance and my work at the company. So I guess as long as it doesn't, because I'm gonna do it at home after working hours and on weekends I think this should be fine.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. My freelance work is too small for now I don't think I want to go through the hassle of registering a company and opening a bank account etc. Unless it grows later in the future I would consider it. But yeah I mean my concern is as long as I am not breaking any laws when I have extra income coming to my account and as long as I declare it as self employment income then it should be fine?

2. My employment contract only says that I'm not supposed to do any other work that would affect my performance and my work at the company. So I guess as long as it doesn't, because I'm gonna do it at home after working hours and on weekends I think this should be fine.
You won't be breaking any laws as long as you declare the income. Over $50k per year I believe you need to register for GST/HST.

Check with your employer just in case. I don't want to see you fired for freelancing :)

Reactions: San.Jamous

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Minor correction: Over $30,000 and you will need to register for GST/HST.

You won't be breaking any laws as long as you declare the income. Over $50k per year I believe you need to register for GST/HST.

Check with your employer just in case. I don't want to see you fired for freelancing :)

Reactions: k.h.p.