+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doing a 1 year diploma after doing a 1 year masters to get a 3 year PGWP

statstudent

Feb 17, 2020
In short, I will finish my 1 year master's soon and was thinking of doing a 1 year diploma after so that I would have 3 years PGWP instead of 1. Would that work? or does the second degree have to be another masters or a Ph.D (can't be lower than the first). Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In short, I will finish my 1 year master's soon and was thinking of doing a 1 year diploma after so that I would have 3 years PGWP instead of 1. Would that work? or does the second degree have to be another masters or a Ph.D (can't be lower than the first). Thank you!
Doesn’t have to be a PhD.

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
You should check with your school. Some masters program for one year are accelerated programs and they give you 3 years work permit. So if your university says typical duration of the program is 2 years and you finish in one you still get 3 years PGWP.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
There are no rules in PGWP against this. You might run into trouble if you need to extend your study permit with your new course being lower than your previous one indicating you are not a genuine student.