+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working for a U.S Employer remotely in Canada through a PEO count towards CEC Work Experience?

prohydra

Oct 1, 2021
Hello everyone,

So I'm currently in ON, I work remotely for a U.S employer. Now, officially, I was hired through a Canadian Professional Employer Organization (PEO) that handles my payroll and benefits. The PEO is fully established in Canada, they pay me in CAD, deduct CPP and CIT.

The U.S employer also has a R&D facility in QC but that is for their engineers which isn't relevant to me. From what I understand, they do not have a subsidiary registered in Canada which is why they used this PEO.

I'm currently on an open PGWP and working towards my 1 year of work experience for CEC. So my question is, will the work that I'm doing with this company count towards my CEC work experience?

Relevant requirements for CEC:
- have gained your work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work (I have been working in Canada with proper authorization)
- have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count), (I am employed by the Canadian PEO)

Please let me know what you think or if you've been in a similar situation before!

Thank you all.

Reactions: hbaig27

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Obviously it will count under CEC. You are mistaken, legally your employer in Canada is that POE. Also your offer letter from POE should under one of NOC O,A and B occupation. Are you a software engineer by any chance?

prohydra

Oct 1, 2021
Obviously it will count under CEC. You are mistaken, legally your employer in Canada is that POE. Also your offer letter from POE should under one of NOC O,A and B occupation. Are you a software engineer by any chance?
I'm in sales but yes it falls under NOC B. My offer letter was actually signed with the U.S company. will that be a problem?

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

tryyourbest

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
Hello
I am in the same boat.
I already have my PGWP, and an American company I worked for before as incorporated asked me if they hire me via PEO, does it work for the Canadian experience class?
I will generally be busy with Canadian Market for prospective clients, but the company does not have any active clients or entity in Canada right now. This is the target. After they have a client, they will create a branch in Toronto.
Of course, all my taxes etc will be under PEO.

Last edited:

nathahakck

Sep 1, 2018
Hello
I am in the same boat.
I already have my PGWP, and an American company I worked for before as incorporated asked me if they hire me via PEO, does it work for the Canadian experience class?
I will generally be busy with Canadian Market for prospective clients, but the company does not have any active clients or entity in Canada right now. This is the target. After they have a client, they will create a branch in Toronto.
Of course, all my taxes etc will be under PEO.
Were you able to get the PR?

forever21islander

Star Member
Apr 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I'm currently in ON, I work remotely for a U.S employer. Now, officially, I was hired through a Canadian Professional Employer Organization (PEO) that handles my payroll and benefits. The PEO is fully established in Canada, they pay me in CAD, deduct CPP and CIT.

The U.S employer also has a R&D facility in QC but that is for their engineers which isn't relevant to me. From what I understand, they do not have a subsidiary registered in Canada which is why they used this PEO.

I'm currently on an open PGWP and working towards my 1 year of work experience for CEC. So my question is, will the work that I'm doing with this company count towards my CEC work experience?

Relevant requirements for CEC:
- have gained your work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work (I have been working in Canada with proper authorization)
- have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count), (I am employed by the Canadian PEO)

Please let me know what you think or if you've been in a similar situation before!

Thank you all.
If you are paying tax in Canada and earning Canadian dollars then you have Canadian work experience even though it is a US-based company

• Love
Reactions: nathahakck