+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does work permit become invalid if I apply for visitor status and get approved ?

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Hello,

So here is my situation, my closed work permit expires in December 2012 but I have recently been laid of from my job in Quebec, I also applied for Quebec worker pemanent residency several months ago and I don't know if my application will be finalized before the expiry of the work permit.

Now I am looking for ways to stay legally in Canada after December while waiting for my PR. Due to the delays in work permits, the safe way would be to apply soon for temporary visitor status so I can be allowed to stay even if I can't get a new job.

However, is my work permit going to become invalid immediately if I am approved as a temporary visitor ? I am asking because one of the conditions to get a new work permit without LMO for Quebec PR candidates residing in the province is to have an existing valid work permit.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MasterGeek said:
Hello,

So here is my situation, my closed work permit expires in December 2012 but I have recently been laid of from my job in Quebec, I also applied for Quebec worker pemanent residency several months ago and I don't know if my application will be finalized before the expiry of the work permit.

Now I am looking for ways to stay legally in Canada after December while waiting for my PR. Due to the delays in work permits, the safe way would be to apply soon for temporary visitor status so I can be allowed to stay even if I can't get a new job.

However, is my work permit going to become invalid immediately if I am approved as a temporary visitor ? I am asking because one of the conditions to get a new work permit without LMO for Quebec PR candidates residing in the province is to have an existing valid work permit.
Yes, if you apply for a visitor permit, your work permit is then invalid.