+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does time on IEC count?

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello all,

Just wondering something about gaining citizenship. I came to Canada from the UK in June 2015 on the 2 year working holiday visa. I got my Permanent Residency last September.

From my understanding, to get citizenship I need to be a Permanent Resident for 3 years in a 5 year period. I was thinking that in another 2 years I would be eligible to apply for Citizenship. Someone told me though that time spent as a temporary resident before PR can also count though toward the 3 years. This is from the CIC website:

"Every day you spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before you become a permanent resident counts as a half day, up to a maximum of 365 days. Therefore, in order to get the maximum 365 day credit you need to be physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person for 730 days during your eligibility period."

So if I was on a working holiday visa for 2 years, and each day counts as half a day, then have I accumulated 1 year from that? If this is the case then regarding citizenship I have 1 year accumulated from the 2 year working holiday visa, 1 year as a Permanent Resident, and I only have 1 more year to go before I'm eligible.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? The thing is I just don't know if that 2 year working holiday visa is classed as a temporary resident or not. If it is then it's just cut my time to wait by a full year which would be amazing!

GrantM

Jul 4, 2014
South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
14-01-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-03-2015
Hello all,

Just wondering something about gaining citizenship. I came to Canada from the UK in June 2015 on the 2 year working holiday visa. I got my Permanent Residency last September.

From my understanding, to get citizenship I need to be a Permanent Resident for 3 years in a 5 year period. I was thinking that in another 2 years I would be eligible to apply for Citizenship. Someone told me though that time spent as a temporary resident before PR can also count though toward the 3 years. This is from the CIC website:

"Every day you spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before you become a permanent resident counts as a half day, up to a maximum of 365 days. Therefore, in order to get the maximum 365 day credit you need to be physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person for 730 days during your eligibility period."

So if I was on a working holiday visa for 2 years, and each day counts as half a day, then have I accumulated 1 year from that? If this is the case then regarding citizenship I have 1 year accumulated from the 2 year working holiday visa, 1 year as a Permanent Resident, and I only have 1 more year to go before I'm eligible.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? The thing is I just don't know if that 2 year working holiday visa is classed as a temporary resident or not. If it is then it's just cut my time to wait by a full year which would be amazing!
That is how I understand it.

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Hello all,

Hi,
yes, the time in Canada under IEC counts towards your citizenship calculation.