+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the time spent in USA working for United Nations count toward permanent resident status?

qun39ea

Jan 26, 2023
Asking for a friend:

I got my PR in mid 2000s, but then got a job at U.N. in NYC on G-4 visa and have been here ever since.

I believe that PR status also expires after certain amount of time out of country. However if you are working for the govt outside of Canada it still counts.

so the question does working for the United Nations fall under working for the Govt.

How can I get a definite answer on this? I am unable to find an email for Canadian Immigration.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Asking for a friend:

I got my PR in mid 2000s, but then got a job at U.N. in NYC on G-4 visa and have been here ever since.

I believe that PR status also expires after certain amount of time out of country. However if you are working for the govt outside of Canada it still counts.

so the question does working for the United Nations fall under working for the Govt.

How can I get a definite answer on this? I am unable to find an email for Canadian Immigration.

Thank you!
The UN does not count as working for the Canadian government.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

PR status does not expire, but you are out of compliance with the residency obligation. That most likely (not 100%) will result in you losing status.

The only exceptions where 'working for the UN' would count as working for Canadian govt would basically be if you were seconded by the Canadian govt - and you would know that 100% if it were the case. (Quite rare for anything but temporary postings)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asking for a friend:

Definitely agree with the others; PR status is likely to be lost because of breaching the Residency Obligation. Sounds like you're ~ 16 years out of compliance.

Here's the part that many despise; You can still enter Canada as a PR (cannot be refused entry) because today you are still a PR. The CBSA officer would be crazy to not issue a 44(1) report upon re-entry, based on the breach, which would very likely lead to your PR status being revoked. Because you do not hold a valid PR Card and would almost certainly be refused a PRTD, the only way to re-enter Canada would be at a land PoE (in a private vehicle, or by foot).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Asking for a friend:

Thank you!

A definite answer can be found in the ruling

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2021/2021canlii81240/2021canlii81240.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAYVU4sIHJlc2lkZW5jeSBvYmxpZ2F0aW9uAAAAAAE&resultIndex=4

qun39ea

Jan 26, 2023
Definitely agree with the others; PR status is likely to be lost because of breaching the Residency Obligation. Sounds like you're ~ 16 years out of compliance.

Here's the part that many despise; You can still enter Canada as a PR (cannot be refused entry) because today you are still a PR. The CBSA officer would be crazy to not issue a 44(1) report upon re-entry, based on the breach, which would very likely lead to your PR status being revoked. Because you do not hold a valid PR Card and would almost certainly be refused a PRTD, the only way to re-enter Canada would be at a land PoE (in a private vehicle, or by foot).
What to do by entering canada? If status is lost there is no recourse correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you can enter Canada without being reported by CBSA for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you can remain in Canada for two year straight (without leaving) to meet the residency requirement and then successfully apply for a new PR card and save your PR status. In order to try this, you have to be prepared to remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving. You should also be prepared for the possibility that it may be difficult to do certain things during this two year period, like get health care coverage (since you won't have a valid PR card).

Reactions: qun39ea

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you lose your status, you need to reapply for PR from scratch under the current economic immigration rules.

qun39ea

Jan 26, 2023
that's.... brutal. He has a family in Canada, and had to leave to work elsewhere for a better paying job than being a part time laborer at corner deli store and he is being punished for that. HOLLY. I bet he spent all his money on his family who is in Canada. He did opposite of most immigrants, worked and sent money into Canada vs worked in Canada and sent money out of economy to another country.

Given this guy couldn't get it, makes me lose hope.. -_- ....

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
that's.... brutal. He has a family in Canada, and had to leave to work elsewhere for a better paying job than being a part time laborer at corner deli store and he is being punished for that. HOLLY. I bet he spent all his money on his family who is in Canada. He did opposite of most immigrants, worked and sent money into Canada vs worked in Canada and sent money out of economy to another country.

If his "family" in Canada is his spouse (whose a PR or citizen of Canada), his spouse can sponsor him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If you read the whole thing you'll see his current wife is in Cameroon, along with their minor children. The adult children from his first wife are in Canada.

Regardless, he does have ties to Canada. There have been several appeal cases around working outside of Canada for the UN and the outcome is clear. It's not going to count towards your residency requirement. So you have to make the call whether you're going to try to save it and try to enter Canada without being reported.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If his "family" in Canada is his spouse (whose a PR or citizen of Canada), his spouse can sponsor him.
No, she can't. They are divorced. He's married to his current wife who is in Cameroon and is not Canadian.

His adult children from his first marriage could sponsor him for PR provided they meet the income requirements, are selected through the lottery, and are willing to accept the 20 year financial undertaking.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No, she can't. They are divorced. He's married to his current wife who is in Cameroon and is not Canadian.

His adult children from his first marriage could sponsor him for PR provided they meet the income requirements, are selected through the lottery, and are willing to accept the 20 year financial undertaking.
oic. I missed this part of his history. And I though OP is referring to his friend who works at UN in USA..

Reactions: qun39ea