+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the passport (Xpresspost) return at the front door or in the mailbox?

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
Hello, I sent the passport to "Case Processing Center PO Box 9780
Ottawa ON K1G 4B9" last week after receiving PPR last week. But I made a huge mistake by not sticking a "signature sticker" at the back of Xpresspost envelop (it means that it will just be drop to the CPC mail box, and no one has to sign for the package). And I also didn't put a sticker on the back of the return Xpresspost. That is a really hug mistake because once the passport is lost, it will take very long time and hassle to get a new one. So can I ask if the Xpresspost ever get returned, will the post mail man put it in the mail box or just at the front door (because I think it will be a lot safer to deliver in the mailbox)?

Does anyone know about this? Thank you.

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
do you have the tracking number of the return envelope that youve sent? because if you do keep tracking it once it says that it was already in your local canada post just go there and claim your parcel..that will be the best thing to do..

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
and i didnt request for a signature for my mail also...but when i tracked the mail it says it has been delivered so you dont have to worry about it as long as the address is right...

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
I did not request a signature with mine… but funnily I got one when it arrived!
So f you mailed it to them Xpresspost like me… somebody should sign even if you didn't ask for it.

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
Canada...canada said:
do you have the tracking number of the return envelope that youve sent? because if you do keep tracking it once it says that it was already in your local canada post just go there and claim your parcel..that will be the best thing to do..
Yes, sir. I think tracking the mail and try to claim the parcel at the local post office may reduce the risk of getting lost. But how to know which office does the parcel go to? Does it say in the tracking system or it can to looked up online or calling the post offce?

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
charlink123 said:
Yes, sir. I think tracking the mail and try to claim the parcel at the local post office may reduce the risk of getting lost. But how to know which office does the parcel go to? Does it say in the tracking system or it can to looked up online or calling the post office?

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
chevalcriostoir said:
I did not request a signature with mine… but funnily I got one when it arrived!
So f you mailed it to them Xpresspost like me… somebody should sign even if you didn't ask for it.
Yes, I do use Xpresspost because I think they only accept that, even though I think UPS is a lot better. But if no one is at home when the mail is being delivered, they will just put it at the front door. This can get lost easily and also there is a chance that they deliver a wrong address (no one will know what address they deliver if no one sign for it). I think there have been some instances like this and there is a post about that.

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
it will be in the nearest local canada post aroud your area...and you can call them also just to make sure which canada post you have to go to...

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
Canada...canada said:
it will be in the nearest local canada post aroud your area...and you can call them also just to make sure which canada post you have to go to...
Yes, sir. I just look up the phone number. Is this phone number +1 800-267-1177 you are talking about or maybe calling a local office number? I think I may call them tomorrow morning and see if I can just show up at their office and claim the parcel with an ID. Do you think the parcel will be dispatched in the same day when it arrive the city or it will be dispatched the next day? Because if it is dispatched in the same day, it will be kind of hard to catch the right timing.

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
charlink123 said:
Yes, I do use Xpresspost because I think they only accept that, even though I think UPS is a lot better. But if no one is at home when the mail is being delivered, they will just put it at the front door. This can get lost easily and also there is a chance that they deliver a wrong address (no one will know what address they deliver if no one sign for it). I think there have been some instances like this and there is a post about that.
I wouldn't worry about that. Immigration will make sure somebody signs at their end and when they return your documents, you will also have to sign for the envelope. If you aren't home they will leave you a docket with the tracking number and you will have to go to the post office to retrieve it and sign for it. (Bring Photo ID, like a driving licence, too :)

charlink123

Mar 30, 2016
chevalcriostoir said:
I wouldn't worry about that. Immigration will make sure somebody signs at their end and when they return your documents, you will also have to sign for the envelope. If you aren't home they will leave you a docket with the tracking number and you will have to go to the post office to retrieve it and sign for it. (Bring Photo ID, like a driving licence, too :)
So sir, when you got the passport, it was delivered to your front door and you do personally have to sign for it? The mail is not delivered to the mailbox? Is your passport delivered recently.

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
charlink123 said:
So sir, when you got the passport, it was delivered to your front door and you do personally have to sign for it? The mail is not delivered to the mailbox? Is your passport delivered recently.

If you aren't home they will leave you a docket with the tracking number and you will have to go to the post office to retrieve it and sign for it. (Bring Photo ID, like a driving licence, too.....

this is what cheval said pls read his post...

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
charlink123 said:
Just to summarize what cheval already told you:

1. IRCC will add a signature sticker on your return envelope to make sure someone will sign for it.
2. Canada Post will therefore ensure the envelope will be collected by a person who will sign for it.
3. If there is a person at home to collect...great. It does not have to be a recipient to sign, as long as they are
present at the home address.
4. If there is no one home, Canada Post will leave a docket for the recipient to collect at the nearest CP office (it will be indicated on the docket) with proof of ID and residency.

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
I have to correct what I said I am afraid.

I went to the post office today, they won't ask you to sign when your passport is returned… but it will have a tracking number… so when you receive it the postman will have to scan to confirm you have it in your hands.

On their side, they will sign for it. And yes if you are not home, you will have to go to the post office with your docket. :)