+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the different date formats from entry/exit stamps create confusion to CIC?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I noticed that some countries use numbers only to indicate the month of entry/exit and some countries use the opposite date formats.
Sometimes the month is the first number but sometimes is the second number.
Here is an example:

Entry stamp: 01-07-2015. Would that create a confusion whether the date is July 1st or January 7th?

troll2

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
MUFC said:
I noticed that some countries use numbers only to indicate the month of entry/exit and some countries use the opposite date formats.
Sometimes the month is the first number but sometimes is the second number.
Here is an example:

Entry stamp: 01-07-2015. Would that create a confusion whether the date is July 1st or January 7th?
I think only USA, Kenya and Belize would use MM/DD/YYYY format at the border. Canada and Kenya are only 2 country's which officially uses all 3 formats DD/MM/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD and MM/DD/YYYY but Immigration Canada will only use ISO format DD/MM/YYYY.
So, very unlikely CIC would be confused about date format.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
troll2 said:
I think only USA, Kenya and Belize would use MM/DD/YYYY format at the border. Canada and Kenya are only 2 country's which officially uses all 3 formats DD/MM/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD and MM/DD/YYYY but Immigration Canada will only use ISO format DD/MM/YYYY.
So, very unlikely CIC would be confused about date format.
Cheers 8)

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada and the U.S. write the month using letters, anyway, like "JUN 23 2015" (U.S.) or "23 JN 2015" (Canada).

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
troll2 said:
Immigration Canada will only use ISO format DD/MM/YYYY.
DD/MM/YYYY is not in ISO format. YYYY-MM-DD is (ISO 8601).

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I opened this thread because I think that one of the reasons for questioning about the specific dates is due to lack of knowledge from the person who is representing CIC about the date format from a specific country.

I am talking about stamps which doesn't show the month with letters and stamps which doesn't show the year in a full 4 digit format.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the CIC officers are experienced enough to know that different date formats are used by different countries (or at least hope so ::) )

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asaif said:
I think the CIC officers are experienced enough to know that different date formats are used by different countries (or at least hope so ::) )
The problem according to me is that they have very limited time to go through the actual stamps at the interview. They will see the actual stamps at the interview for the first time and if they get confused from different formats they might want to dig in farther, hence delay of the process.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone reported again recently that at the interview after the test they need to farther look over the stamps in the passport.

I am not really sure that they are trained properly to deal efficiently with stamps from different countries.

It is interesting because they already have access to that travel information from CBSA and the airlines itself.