+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the Co-op program impact my PGWP?

Max535

Dec 23, 2018
Hello guys,

I am an international student in Canada, and I have a question regarding the Co-op program. Could you please tell me if three situations listed below impact my post graduate work permit negatively?

The first one, I have to complete three work terms to finish the program, but I couldn't secure a job for the first one. So I decided to complete, only, two work terms just to gain work experience.

The second one, I had a part-time semester because I am taking my last two courses, then I had a full-time semester as a Co-op work term

The third one, I might drop the program.

Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
For 3, Obviously you need to graduate to be elligable for PGWP.
For 1 probably depends on what you did during that time, did you replace your coop with classes and remained with a full course load? 2 your are only allowed to be part time during last semester, I dont know how they would treat this case though. Talk to your schools advisors this is probably a common case for them.

Max535

Dec 23, 2018
For 3, Obviously you need to graduate to be elligable for PGWP.
For 1 probably depends on what you did during that time, did you replace your coop with classes and remained with a full course load? 2 your are only allowed to be part time during last semester, I dont know how they would treat this case though. Talk to your schools advisors this is probably a common case for them.
Yeah, I replaced coop with classes, so, I was a full-time student.

MTRMAN

Jan 12, 2019
Max 535, Can you provide your timeline, please? I have the same problem, I was unable to get a coop job in my third coop term, I changed to the same course (non coop) and took a summer holiday because there was no class provided in summer, then I finished my last Semester in Sept-Dec, and graduated according to schedule.

Last edited: