+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does staying out before the Citizenship Interview affect the process? And can I surrender my Indian passport outside Canada?

avishajhaveri

Mar 31, 2024
I applied for Citizenship in May 2023 and passed my test in August 2023 and received a notice for an interview for 24th Oct 2023 in the Scarborough office.

Since I have been dealing with an emergency in my family I have been in India from May 2023 until now and plan to return when I get my new interview date. My questions are:

1. Will this staying outside of Canada affect my citizenship application (I have legally completed my days)
2. Once I receive the Canadian Passport is there a way to maybe surrender the Indian passport in a country like Dubai and obtain my OCI from there, just to save cost of living in Canada.

I do plan to move back when I can find a job in Canada and once my family situation eases.

Your input would be very helpful :) Thank youu!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1) Yeah, being outside Canada can (emphasis on "can", it's not necessarily "will") affect your application. For a start, IRCC may ask you to provide a proof you're back in the country before they move with a new step, be it the interview or oath.
It could be worth it to contact them and see if they're waiting for you to come back before they schedule your interview, or whether they will schedule it and then ask you to fly back.
Also, far from being a problem now, but let's suppose your application drags on for years : if your residency requirement for PR (2 years out of 5)is put at risk, you're not becoming a citizen as being a PR is a requirement for citizenship... Dont worry about it since you've only been outside the country for 10 months tho.
And obviously, there are procedural consequences. If you're being summoned for something on a very short notice, you gotta make it here on time, your commitments in another country being damned.

2) will let Indian Canadians answer this one.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I applied for Citizenship in May 2023 and passed my test in August 2023 and received a notice for an interview for 24th Oct 2023 in the Scarborough office.

Since I have been dealing with an emergency in my family I have been in India from May 2023 until now and plan to return when I get my new interview date. My questions are:

1. Will this staying outside of Canada affect my citizenship application (I have legally completed my days)
2. Once I receive the Canadian Passport is there a way to maybe surrender the Indian passport in a country like Dubai and obtain my OCI from there, just to save cost of living in Canada.

I do plan to move back when I can find a job in Canada and once my family situation eases.

2. If you have address proof in Dubai you can do it there too

Reactions: avishajhaveri

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.cgidubai.gov.in/docs/1638187213INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS FOR RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP.pdf

Reactions: avishajhaveri

avishajhaveri

Mar 31, 2024
1) Yeah, being outside Canada can (emphasis on "can", it's not necessarily "will") affect your application. For a start, IRCC may ask you to provide a proof you're back in the country before they move with a new step, be it the interview or oath.
It could be worth it to contact them and see if they're waiting for you to come back before they schedule your interview, or whether they will schedule it and then ask you to fly back.
Also, far from being a problem now, but let's suppose your application drags on for years : if your residency requirement for PR (2 years out of 5)is put at risk, you're not becoming a citizen as being a PR is a requirement for citizenship... Dont worry about it since you've only been outside the country for 10 months tho.
And obviously, there are procedural consequences. If you're being summoned for something on a very short notice, you gotta make it here on time, your commitments in another country being damned.

2) will let Indian Canadians answer this one.
Thank you so much for this, I am going to call them today and get some clarity. Yes, I am happy to fly back to avoid losing my citizenship legibility. Appreciate your response :)