+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does spouse require to provide reference letter?

damien86

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have been reading experiences where express entry applications get rejected just because the applicant did not provide copies of blank passport pages. I was wondering if the spouse (as dependant) also requires to provide reference letters for each employment. Or whether or not providing it helps. Was any applicant ever rejected for not providing reference letters for the spouse?

PS: My question is for foreign work experience, not Canadian.

Looking forward to any comments.

jorgecmb

Jul 22, 2015
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
SPVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2015
AOR Received.
13-08-2015
File Transfer...
13-08-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Passport Req..
08-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2016
It depends on your application. If you claimed points for spouse's work experience, then yes, you have to provide the letters. If not, it is not necessary.

Reactions: RajSinha007

damien86

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
jorgecmb said:
It depends on your application. If you claimed points for spouse's work experience, then yes, you have to provide the letters. If not, it is not necessary.
you can only claim points for spouse's work if it is canadian work experience right?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
damien86 said:
you can only claim points for spouse's work if it is canadian work experience right?
Yes.

And nobody was ever refused only because they didn't provide copies of blank passport pages.

henryahmed

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2015
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
damien86 said:
Hi everyone,

I have been reading experiences where express entry applications get rejected just because the applicant did not provide copies of blank passport pages. I was wondering if the spouse (as dependant) also requires to provide reference letters for each employment. Or whether or not providing it helps. Was any applicant ever rejected for not providing reference letters for the spouse?

You do not get points for spouse's foreign work experience. However, if you put information about your spouse work histoy in you express entry profile, after ita you are going to be asked to upload the reference letters on your documents checklist. What some members have done is to put the information of the spouse work history only in the personal history section of the spouse not in the work history section.

I have not heard of anybody getting rejected because of not providing spouses foreign reference letter.

In my case... just to be safe... i provided the reference letters of my wife... but just generic reference letters that she had...

Dreams1985

Sep 17, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
damien86 said:
Hi everyone,

As guided by many other experts , if you not claiming points no need for reference letter. In my case though me and my spouse has joined the company at same time , we both have same total number of work experience so I have provided reference letter for her as well as per CIC requirement

damien86

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Dreams1985 said:
As guided by many other experts , if you not claiming points no need for reference letter. In my case though me and my spouse has joined the company at same time , we both have same total number of work experience so I have provided reference letter for her as well as per CIC requirement
this is interesting. Would you tell me why this was a CIC requirement?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dreams1985 said:
It isn't CIC requirement.

What you probably meant was that you provided your spouse's foreign work experience in your post ITA profile hence were requested for reference letters in the document checklist and you provided those even though you knew that they add no points to your CRS thereby making no difference to your application by their presence or absence.

gappy31600

May 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
AOR Received.
12-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
14-10-2016
Asivad Anac said:

What you probably meant was that you provided your spouse's foreign work experience in your post ITA profile hence were requested for reference letters in the document checklist and you provided those even though you knew that they add no points to your CRS thereby making no difference to your application by their presence or absence.

Hi,

I have created an express entry profile and also mentioned my spouse's work experience in the work history section for my spouse.

Should i remove this information from the express entry profile for my spouse's work experience as it doesnt give any points.

Or is this applicable only after i get an ITA? This means once i get the ITA i dont mention it then in spouse's work history in the post ITA profile.

Wouldnt it be a mismatch that i stated work experience in the EE profile for my spouse but not in the post ITA profile?

Thanks

utopia110

Nov 30, 2015
gappy31600 said:
Hi,

I have created an express entry profile and also mentioned my spouse's work experience in the work history section for my spouse.

Should i remove this information from the express entry profile for my spouse's work experience as it doesnt give any points.

Or is this applicable only after i get an ITA? This means once i get the ITA i dont mention it then in spouse's work history in the post ITA profile.

Wouldnt it be a mismatch that i stated work experience in the EE profile for my spouse but not in the post ITA profile?

Thanks
Would be curious to know what you did or what should have been done. Thanks

niksi

Jul 5, 2017
You do not get points for spouse's foreign work experience. However, if you put information about your spouse work histoy in you express entry profile, after ita you are going to be asked to upload the reference letters on your documents checklist. What some members have done is to put the information of the spouse work history only in the personal history section of the spouse not in the work history section.

I have not heard of anybody getting rejected because of not providing spouses foreign reference letter.

In my case... just to be safe... i provided the reference letters of my wife... but just generic reference letters that she had...

Hello ,

Did you mention anything in letter of explanation for providing only the generic employment letter for spouse?

My spouse also has non Canadian work ex for which I haven't got any points. I am planning to submit his relieving letter(which contains joining date and last date) for past employment and pay stubs+ generic employment letter for current employment. is this fine ?

Chand44

Mar 20, 2016
Hello All,

Can anyone share their experiences of getting PR without providing Spouse's Non-Canadian work reference letter?

Thanks

Green Stone

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Hello All,

Can anyone share their experiences of getting PR without providing Spouse's Non-Canadian work reference letter?

Thanks
You can't claim points of your spouse work experience, so show unemployed in work experience and show all jobs in personal history . In this way , they will not demand your spouse's work details .

pallavichauhan88

Sep 16, 2015