+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does self employed outside Canada count?

xmax23

Feb 14, 2023
My qualifications are:
- I hold BS / MS degree in petroleum engineering from a US College. Then I went back home and started doing Uber which really worked well for me.
- 2 years experience of full time food deliveries. I made equivalent to $65,000 CAD per year. I have logged everything.
- My age is 26 single.

Would it be possible to get PR in Canada? I don't want to study at all.
My plan is to buy a semi truck and operate across Canada.

Any suggestion? I keep hearing about PR programs and it is hard to get to know all of them and see which one fits my situation

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
My qualifications are:
- I hold BS / MS degree in petroleum engineering from a US College. Then I went back home and started doing Uber which really worked well for me.
- 2 years experience of full time food deliveries. I made equivalent to $65,000 CAD per year. I have logged everything.
- My age is 26 single.

Any suggestion? I keep hearing about PR programs and it is hard to get to know all of them and see which one fits my situation
Probably not - Uber driving isn't a job, it's self-employment. Because you have no actual work experience I'd say your prospects for immigration are effectively zero. You need to do some type of skilled work to have a chance at any type of economic immigration, or at least have 100% fluent French/English.

Reactions: Taran D and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My qualifications are:
- My age is 26 single.

I agree with the feedback you've gotten above. It will be pretty difficult / next to impossible for you to immigrate in these circumstances. Your work experience is unskilled and won't be considered under the vast majority of immigration programs. If immigrating to Canada is a priority, then you need to focus on acquiring 1 (or ideally more) years of full time skilled work experience.

Reactions: Taran D

xmax23

Feb 14, 2023
Probably not - Uber driving isn't a job, it's self-employment. Because you have no actual work experience I'd say your prospects for immigration are effectively zero. You need to do some type of skilled work to have a chance at any type of economic immigration, or at least have 100% fluent French/English.
I am fluent in English but not French.
I did Uber full time and I grossed the equivalent of $65,000 CAD. $65,000 is what went to my account because there is no income tax in my country. The salary I made is probably equivalent to $90,000 pre tax in Canada.

What if I want to open trucking business over there? would this be possible?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I did Uber full time and I grossed the equivalent of $65,000 CAD. $65,000 is what went to my account because there is no income tax in my country. The salary I made is probably equivalent to $90,000 pre tax in Canada.

Immigration doesn't care how much you make in your home country - your wage only matters in PNP for skilled jobs the provincial government in question nominates you for (where you have to meet median wage thresholds). What Canada cares more about is your skills and unfortunately you have none applicable for the purposes of immigration. You lack work experience, and hence during the EE/provincial screening process you'd be at a severe disadvantage for labour market adaptability.

No you wouldn't be able to open a trucking business from what I can gather because from what you've said, you did self-employment food deliveries and not trucking or the actual operation of a commercial business. For that stuff they need an immense amount of proof (and they'll get KPMG etc. to audit you) that you ran a business of that nature back in your home country profitably for quite a few years, created jobs, usually $250-$500k in assets in that province, a commitment to create local jobs. It's quite a high criteria, and the most important element of it is the relevant experience that you ran such a business back at home.

xmax23

Feb 14, 2023
Immigration doesn't care how much you make in your home country - your wage only matters in PNP for skilled jobs the provincial government in question nominates you for (where you have to meet median wage thresholds). What Canada cares more about is your skills and unfortunately you have none applicable for the purposes of immigration. You lack work experience, and hence during the EE/provincial screening process you'd be at a severe disadvantage for labour market adaptability.

No you wouldn't be able to open a trucking business from what I can gather because from what you've said, you did self-employment food deliveries and not trucking or the actual operation of a commercial business. For that stuff they need an immense amount of proof (and they'll get KPMG etc. to audit you) that you ran a business of that nature back in your home country profitably for quite a few years, created jobs, usually $250-$500k in assets in that province, a commitment to create local jobs. It's quite a high criteria, and the most important element of it is the relevant experience that you ran such a business back at home.
If I ran business back home and get PR, My home business would be taxed too? even if the money was generated outside Canada?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
If I ran business back home and get PR, My home business would be taxed too? even if the money was generated outside Canada?
Umm I'm not aware of business taxes if your business was a separate corporation.

As a general the country which you have the strongest ties to (i.e. are living and leasing a property there) will be primary taxing jurisdiction. So if you primarily lived in Canada then Canada would tax all your worldwide income, including any self-employed/Freelance/Uber/wage income you earned overseas.

You sound like you're very confident in getting PR. Am I missing something?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You would need to show previous work experience in running a trucking business or a related business for this to be feasible. You would also need to have considerable savings. At least several hundred thousand dollars but upwards of a million dollars depending on where you apply to settle. Your biggest barrier right now is the work experience. You don't have related work experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, worldwide income is taxed if you are a Canadian tax resident.

xmax23

Feb 14, 2023
Umm I'm not aware of business taxes if your business was a separate corporation.

As a general the country which you have the strongest ties to (i.e. are living and leasing a property there) will be primary taxing jurisdiction. So if you primarily lived in Canada then Canada would tax all your worldwide income, including any self-employed/Freelance/Uber/wage income you earned overseas.

I get taxed for the money generated in my home?
I think I am better of not coming to Canada

Honestly, this doesn't seem a good option to me. I put $65,000 in my account last year from Uber.

Average salary in Canada is $60k. I've to pay taxes and all that. I would lose so much money this way.
My stocks income and proprieties now don't get taxed in UAE. But when I move to Canada, I will be hit with all taxes. Defiantly this is not worth it.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022

Honestly, this doesn't seem a good option to me. I put $65,000 in my account last year from Uber.

Average salary in Canada is $60k. I've to pay taxes and all that. I would lose so much money this way.
My stocks income and proprieties now don't get taxed in UAE. But when I move to Canada, I will be hit with all taxes. Defiantly this is not worth it.
Good luck to you!

ragolliangatan

Jun 1, 2021

being taxed on worldwide income by the country that you reside in is a fairly common taxation policy - it's done for numerous reasons.

As for starting a trucking business it would be extremely tricky without a lot of capital and if you are using it as the basis for immigration the bar is extremely high. Added to that trucking is a highly competitive field in Canada/North America- it would be fairly difficult to break into the business.

xmax23

Feb 14, 2023
being taxed on worldwide income by the country that you reside in is a fairly common taxation policy - it's done for numerous reasons.

As for starting a trucking business it would be extremely tricky without a lot of capital and if you are using it as the basis for immigration the bar is extremely high. Added to that trucking is a highly competitive field in Canada/North America- it would be fairly difficult to break into the business.
I am not much worried about the trucking business at this minute.

I don't get taxed now in UAE. Moving to Canada would be an economic decision that needs to be calculated.
I could get a job in UAE as a petroleum engineer and make a true $150k.

My purpose to move to Canada is explore the culture, language, nature, and get a different experience. Trucking would be the best option to for this experience. But my biggest concern is the income generated from my home. This would be a big junk of loss to me.
Do I have to pay province? federal ?

I know the other countries like US has a limit 100k. But Canada has set the bar very low. I hope that I am misunderstanding something

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022

I don't get taxed now in UAE. Moving to Canada would be an economic decision that needs to be calculated.

My purpose to move to Canada is explore the culture, language, nature, and get a different experience. Trucking would be the best option to for this experience. But my biggest concern is the income generated from my home. This would be a big junk of loss to me.

I know the other countries like US has a limit 100k. But Canada has set the bar very low. I hope that I am misunderstanding something
I'm confused.

If you want to explore the culture then why do you even care about getting PR???????? Just go on a holiday visa - that way you don't have to worry about double tax treaties and competing in a new market with completely different dynamics. You can explore culture, enjoy the mountains, take photos with girls with cowboy hats as much as you want for a couple of weeks/months then go back.

Besides you have zero prospect of immigration anyway, yet you seem to suggest that it's a walk in the park and the bigger concern for you is taxes despite having no skilled work experience. Am I missing something? Do you have a trucking business? Did you drive trucks on Uber? If not then you can't possibly start a trucking business or work as a truck driver here.

And yes, in Canada you declare all foreign income in your federal tax return if you live here.

Last edited:
Reactions: xmax23

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You would pay a combination of provincial and federal taxes on your income generated outside of Canada. Your income generated in Canada will not be tax free if you are living in Canada.