+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Permanent SIN number go on hold for some reason or expire?

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015

Reason why I ask is I have been out of Canada for over 2 yrs now and I want make sure SIN is active when I arrive in Canada later this year.

Thank You!

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
SIN numbers of permanent residents, and citizens DO NOT expire.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Reason why I ask is I have been out of Canada for over 2 yrs now and I want make sure SIN is active when I arrive in Canada later this year.

Thank You!
Yes they go on hold if inactive for a certain amount of time. Are you compliant with your RO? Do you have a valid PR card? You also have to renew your healthcare card as well even if it is still valid. You must meet the residency obligation to retain healthcare coverage in your province. Being outside your home province for over 2 years means that you have to met the residency obligation to qualify for healthcare coverage and must reapply for your healthcard.

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015
Yes they go on hold if inactive for a certain amount of time. Are you compliant with your RO? Do you have a valid PR card? You also have to renew your healthcare card as well even if it is still valid. You must meet the residency obligation to retain healthcare coverage in your province. Being outside your home province for over 2 years means that you have to met the residency obligation to qualify for healthcare coverage and must reapply for your healthcard.
Thank you! I do meet the RO as of now and I plan to come back before that changes. Can you tell when SIN goes on hold and if any action is necessary to be to come back or can I work on it once I'm back in Ontario?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! I do meet the RO as of now and I plan to come back before that changes. Can you tell when SIN goes on hold and if any action is necessary to be to come back or can I work on it once I'm back in Ontario?
The status is called dormancy and it appears to exist primarily to block access to the benefits, i.e. not to stop you from working. Although it is not clear what will happen eg wil inquiry come to employers when you attempt to use it to work.

IF it is in dormancy status, you'd need to contact service canada and ask for the dormant flag to be removed. They seem to request a recent PR card (not clear if recently expired is acceptalbe or only valid) and an address in Canada to do so.

Reactions: cprasp

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
IF it is in dormancy status, you'd need to contact service canada and ask for the dormant flag to be removed. They seem to request a recent PR card (not clear if recently expired is acceptalbe or only valid) and an address in Canada to do so.
Do you recall about anyone ever posting about an experience with this issue- having an employer ask about card being dormant? I looked briefly but didn’t see anything.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you recall about anyone ever posting about an experience with this issue- having an employer ask about card being dormant? I looked briefly but didn’t see anything.
I have not seen such a post myself. Another trusted poster here has said that yes, employers can be contacted. I do not know of any confirmation or more details. But it is not at all clear to me that the employers are being told that the person cannot work, or just inquiry about identity, or what exactly.

Mind, we must admit that many employers would not want to be involved in any difference of opinion over such a case and it puts the PR in an awkward position.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you still meet your RO, you should be finegetting your SIN from dormant to active if it is currently dormant. You will likely need to prove that you have been living in Canada for the past 2 out of 5 years. You will also have the taxreturns backing your up that you were in Canada for at least 2 years in the past 5.

Reactions: armoured and cprasp

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Given that you still meet your RO
I missed that still compliant with the RO. Do you still have a valid PR card?

At any rate, if still compliant with RO, it means must have been in Canada in just a bit less than the last three years. My impression is that SIN is only put into dormant status after longer periods without use - although not certain; anyway, chances are it is still fine, and if not, can be reactivated without too much difficulty.

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015
I missed that still compliant with the RO. Do you still have a valid PR card?

At any rate, if still compliant with RO, it means must have been in Canada in just a bit less than the last three years. My impression is that SIN is only put into dormant status after longer periods without use - although not certain; anyway, chances are it is still fine, and if not, can be reactivated without too much difficulty.
Yes, I do and you are right about the duration. That's reassuring to know about getting it activated. Thank You!

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015
Hey Guys, I am back in Canada and the SIN doesn't go in to any dormant status. However, my OHIP coverage was suspended and I had to get it re-instated at Service Ontario government office using a latest address proof.

caloca

Nov 20, 2022
Hey Guys, I am back in Canada and the SIN doesn't go in to any dormant status. However, my OHIP coverage was suspended and I had to get it re-instated at Service Ontario government office using a latest address proof.
Thanks for you update, did Services Ontario ask you for a valid PR card to reactivate your OHIP coverage or you only used a latest address proof?